Plumbing code question for cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Kuma13

Reaction score
I have a plumbing code question that I am having a difference on opinion on with my local building department. One inspector signed off on this arrangement and then another later on has told me that it is not code compliant They are not going to make me change it, but we have continued to debate the legality of it.
I have a basement plumbing arrangement almost exactly like the one shown below except that it is under a slab and it discharges straight into a sump basin in the basement about 25' away. The 3" closet vent will have a clean out and then reduce to a 2" individual vent.
The inspector says that it does not meet code in California because the clean out does not come at the uppermost terminal of the building drain.
I contend that the everything from the vent/clean out combination back is a branch line and that as long as it is shorter than 5' than this arrangement is code compliant. I base this on if I had simply wye'd off before the vent creating a branch than it would have been compliant, which seems like the exact same arrangement that I have now.
You guys are much smarter than me on plumbing codes, so does anyone have an answer to who is correct.
Thanks.

upload_2018-8-3_6-39-17.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would have put the cleanout on the 3" portion of the vent. So yes, the first inspector said that it was okay, and then the second one had an issue with it? I would talk to the first guy again. It looks good to me.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
California Code

Building Drain: That part of the lowest piping of a drainage system that receives the discharge from soil, waste, and other drainage pipes inside the walls of the building and conveys it to the buildings sewer beginning 2 feet outside the building wall.

You stated that the bathroom piping goes twenty five feet and discharges into a sump basin. That means that the sanitary plumbing in your photo is defined as the “Building Subdrain”, which is then pumped up into the “Building Drain.”

The second inspector is being petty and to literal with the California Code.

707.4 Location. Each horizontal drainage pipe shall be provided with a cleanout at its upper terminal...

Honestly, your installation looks great. That’s a perfect spot for your C.O. Your first inspector interprets the code and applies it to the real world, and understands mechanics, the second inspector drinks alone.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
If inspector #2 wants to wordsmith, you should refer to the code book.

CA Plumbing Code: Chapter 2, Definitions, Trap Arm. That portion of a fixture drain between a trap and the vent.

By placing your C.O. where you did, you have met the letter of the code exactly as it was ment to be interpreted. At the end of the horizontal “drainage pipe.”

Your code compliance has nothing to do with the 5 foot rule.

MKS

Reaction score
Not sure where your clean out is. Would respectfully question the 90 at the bottom of the pipe with the red dot on top. Looks like a vent 90. Thought that should be a long sweep.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not sure where your clean out is. Would respectfully question the 90 at the bottom of the pipe with the red dot on top. Looks like a vent 90.
Looks like a 4 in. x 3 in. ABS DWV 90-Degree Hub x Hub Closet Elbow to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks