Plumbing charges

Users who are viewing this thread

jordanc8

Reaction score
I recently had some beams installed in my basement. The installers subcontracted a plumber to reroute the supply lines to a washer and sink. Because of the new location of the supply, I wanted the laundry/sink drain reworked to a more convenient configuration. I agreed that this was beyond the scope of the beam installation job, so I knew to expect a separate invoice for the drainage work. I tried asking how much it would cost, but never got a straight answer. The only reply I got was "time and materials", but he wouldn't give me an approximation of how long it would take, or what the cost of the materials might be. They moved forward with the work, and when I got the bill I was shocked: over $750 in total. I feel like I was over-charged. They billed for 6 hours of labor, and $230 of parts. I only saw that they were there for 4 hours, max. For materials, I count about 10 ft. of PVC, 5 or 6 fittings, two 1/4 turn valves for the sink, and two new valves for the laundry hookup (I asked them to replace the values, which was also out of scope for the beam installation.). Does the $750 seem excessive? It does to me, but I'm not experienced with plumbing costs. Is there anything I can/should to do ask them about their charges?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The low end for hourly is $125 an hour and the higher end is more like $250
Add for travel and standard markup on parts, and that seems in the ballpark. My cost on a washer box with valves is $40

Reach4

Reaction score
They billed for 6 hours of labor, and $230 of parts. I only saw that they were there for 4 hours, max.
With 2 guys for 4 hours, should they have billed for 8 hours?

jordanc8

Reaction score
The low end for hourly is $125 an hour and the higher end is more like $250
Add for travel and standard markup on parts, and that seems in the ballpark. My cost on a washer box with valves is $40
Good to know. Thanks.

When I probed for more details about the expected cost, I thought he said $150 for the first hour. I was charged an average of $83 per hour, so that's good for me. I'm just surprised it took 6 hours of labor.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"I'm just surprised it took 6 hours of labor."

Sometimes contractors add travel time, part ordering time, delivery and other things into the mix.

What do you think lawyers do?

That's why, next time you are going to shop around by taking at least 2 estimates, unless time is of the essence.

jordanc8

Reaction score
"I'm just surprised it took 6 hours of labor."

Sometimes contractors add travel time, part ordering time, delivery and other things into the mix.

What do you think lawyers do?

That's why, next time you are going to shop around by taking at least 2 estimates, unless time is of the essence.
I see. I just wish he had been more direct when I asked for an approximate cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks