Plumbing Bathrooms above each other

Users who are viewing this thread

boboIam

Reaction score
Hi I'm trying to figure out how to plumb these two bathrooms in my renovation. It's a full bath on the first floor and a second floor master bath. They're stacked above each other.

Routing the pipes for waste and vent is a little tricky for me to figure out it seems for a few reasons. First, the bathrooms sit against the stairs on both floors, so on the toilet wall, there are beams under the sole plate supporting the staircase. Secondly the second floor bathroom is deeper and wider, so two of the perimeter walls don't line up. The walls that do line up is the exterior wall and the wall against the stair case. Third, on the second floor we're adding a washer and dryer on the other side of the wall shared by the vanity. I would like to plumb everything into the basement and then route it out from there.

Could I route the stack up the doorway wall in the first floor, make a turn for about a foot, then go up the second floor bath's doorway wall? Could I use an exterior wall? I'm attaching the drawings, one of the first floor, one of the second and one with the two drawings overlaid. I'm in Kentucky. Walls are 2x4.

Thanks in advance for the help wrapping my head around this. I'm sure that I'm leaving needed info out, apologies in advance for that.

Gh63RXJ.jpg

yvq8ZLE.jpg

GvHmSIH.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lot depends on the direction of the floor joists and where the bearing points are.
How high are the ceilings? Perhaps going below the floor joists and dropping the ceiling.

dwv_b2.jpg

The washer can't be included in any wet venting as it's a pumped fixture.

boboIam

Reaction score
A lot depends on the direction of the floor joists and where the bearing points are.
How high are the ceilings? Perhaps going below the floor joists and dropping the ceiling.

dwv_b2.jpg

The washer can't be included in any wet venting as it's a pumped fixture.

Thanks Terry, the joists run parallel with the front of the house. Ceilings are only 8', so don't want to drop them.

Stuff

Reaction score
To be blunt: Your questions make it seem like you are in over your head. Get a quote from a plumber.With all of the walls open the price might not be too bad.

It is common to have a stack in the outside wall. Hot and cold supplies have a problem with freezing in northern climates, though, so they get run in interior walls.

Whatever wall you put a stack in should be 2x6. Google wet wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks