Plumbers ripped me off!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some stuff that was writ.

Terry, I just got ripped off. Its Sunday and they charged me $123.75 to come out and unplug my kitchen sink. It took them about 20 minutes.My check is going to bounch tomorow becase I dont have much in the bank.I feeel like they really ripped me off.Plumbers charge too much.
Tim

A person Shall not...deliver any check...with the intent to defraud...if the person does not have sufficient funds. 100 or more but less than 500 1) 1st or Second offense, a misdemeanor=jail for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000 or 3 times the amount payable, whichever is greater, or both imprisonment and a fine. Hope you don't live in Michigan!
Casman

That's not getting ripped off. Ripped off is ordering a 40 gallon hot water heater, total install by a home Depot Contractor was $400, then when the guy finally shows up he goes into the basement, puts his hand on the vent pipe from the old heater which hooks into the chimney and says" Ahhh we got a problem and says I gotta go call my boss. He returns and says, Yup your vent pipe/Liner is too small it's only a 3" and should be 4", but we can put in a 4" liner for $400.00 more, which would bring the total to $800. Then he says how long you lived here. I said three years, and that liner is Brand new. It was installed along with 2 90% furnaces, 2 airconditioners, air cleaners etc. He says well it's too small but we can fix it. I said no, if in fact it's wrong then the HVAC contractor will replace it. I called my HVAC guys and they said 3" is correct. I also called other HVAC contractors who said the same thing, 3" is fine. Eventually, with the help of this site I put it in myself, took 1/2 hour, total cost about $250. You weren't ripped off, it was a Sunday and I'm sure that the Plumber would rather spend his time with his family then with your sink.
Casman

Hi, Tim.

I just hung up the phone on someone who asked what it would cost to rod a sewer on Sunday. I told him it would be $xxx.xx minimum, but the actual cost would depend on how long it took to fix it. So you got a bargain, but he should be sure to remember your name and phone number so that he either raise the quotation next time, or tell you he is not interested in you as a customer. I do not mind taking care of people's problems on the weekend if they cannot wait until Monday, but I do not appreciate it when they rip me off and then disappear so that they do not have to pay anything for the service.
hj

Gee, I'm glad you didn't call me. Ruin my Sunday to fix your problem, and then you don't pay? What did you say your name was?
Terry Love

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You knowingly wrote a bad cheque to pay for this Sunday service call. Hmmmmmmm, I really wonder who got ripped off here. Despite your bad cheque writing policy, I feel you got a fair charge for a Sunday service call of this nature. Next time, ask what the charge will be before proceeding with the work. By the way, you'll probably be hit with service charges from your bank because of the bounced cheque and You'll more than likely get a "nice" followup call from the plumber because of the cheque as well.If I were him, I'd hit you with additional penalty charges as well. Have a nice day. Marty

You got ripped off. Next time just call me I will rooter that thing out for 45 bucks. Better wait till monday when I sober up. I can charge so less cuz I don't have the overhead others do. I bet the company you used had to pay a licensed plumber overtime to come out on sunday. First off licensed guys get paid too much I never use em. Second of all man Sunday you need to wait I work m-th 12-5pm. Fri. I like to knock off about 3pm. you know where else they have overhead insurance,warranty,advertising, the list goes on who needs it ? Next time call me better yet page me I don't have my phone cut on right now.
The Cheap Plumber

Dang! Even I don't work that cheap!
Wait, I don't work cheap at all! I work really hard to be the best dang plumber that God's green earth has ever seen. I know that not everybody knows that I'm thet good, but I am! That is no way to treat good ol boys like me, thet work hard and do good work, and then on a Sunday too. Man!

I suggest to that guy with no money to pay his plumber, that maybe he should come over and mow his plumbers lawn, organize the garage, maybe paint a fence or something for him.

In this world, you can't be just asking people to do things for you on Sunday, and then not paying him. If there was like a lot of thunder and lighting, I would be a gettin worried for him.
Mad Plumber

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It makes no difference how many "minutes" it takes, the charge is the same as if it were an hour, (including travel time), and weekends and evenings are ALWAYS an additional charge, as are bounced checks. As for the water heater, that is how those "big box installers" make a profit becauses they cannot really install a water heater for the "posted price" so they ALWAYS come up with "necessary upgrades". I even had my home warranty company's plumber try it on me.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I wonder what they would think paying my bills :) A fixture stoppage is $200 plus parts and if I have to snake the line instead of using a ram jet it is $225 +

A "simple " toilet stoppage is $200 for about 4 minutes of actual labor (Double on week ends of after 4 PM )

Someone has to pay for

1- my overhead

2- my life style that I want to lead

3- My own going education

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks