Plumbers putty between tank and bowl

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Blank, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. Blank

    Blank New Member

    Aug 28, 2005
    I suppose that this is a common problem, but while replacing a new overflow/flapper device in my toilet, and replacing the tank, one of the bolts which holds the tank on is seeping. This in itself is not too much of a concern, since the leak is not that great, but I was wondering, when I took the tank off of the bowl I noticed what looked like plumbers putty used as a sort of gasket (not sure if this is the correct term). I imagine that this is to keep the tank from rocking, but is this necassary, or just something that the contractor did to keep it quiet? I don't see it being related to my leak problem but I'm not really sure. With a gap, due to the putty, between the tank and the bowl I am afraid to tighten the bolts too tight.
  2. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    No. Just don't do it.

    There should be no plumbers putty between the tank and bowl.

    Rubber washers or seals should be used.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Similar Threads: Plumbers putty
Forum Title Date
Toilet Forum discussions Why plumbers putty on base of toilet?? Sep 29, 2005
Toilet Forum discussions For Plumbers: Aug 29, 2009
Toilet Forum discussions A New Resturant not just for Plumbers Oct 26, 2007
Toilet Forum discussions Whats the answer to this question? Many plumbers, all different answers Mar 3, 2007
Toilet Forum discussions please help non-plumbers with running toilet Feb 24, 2007

Share This Page