Plumbers: Any Ideas on what this is?

Users who are viewing this thread

M3

Reaction score
I am a home inspector, and saw this in the basement floor of a 1920's home. I've never seen anything like it before, but guessing it is some old plumbing fixture or portion thereof... I posted it to my association forum and someone thought it may be an old bell trap improperly installed...?

I'm just trying to give my client some good information, and wondering if one of the forum plumbers can help identify it.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCN1985 copy.jpg
    DSCN1985 copy.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 356

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe it is an old cast iron shower drain with an inverted cup covering the drain opening.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Looks like it might be an old floor-drain backflow preventer that somebody installed as a retrofit, probably after a rainstorm or flood backed up and flooded the basement with stinky stuff, but without actually breaking out the slab to install it properly, flush with the concrete(?). They came/come in a number of different looks. It's a bit tough to say without being on site to poke at it. If you push down on the center is it spring loaded- does it open up?

(I'm not a real plumber, never had a plumbing license, but I know which end of the plunger is the business end... :) )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks