Plumber wants to run vent stack out gable end of attic wall

Users who are viewing this thread

DarkNova

Reaction score
My plumber wants to run the vent stack out the gable end of the attic wall. I'm assuming (but I have yet to ask) that it would run out and then vertically to clear the roof. The main advantage is eliminating a roof penetration which can be problematic with heavy snow pressure. I have been searching around and see people express negativity towards this setup but I haven't been able to find a concrete answer yet. Can anyone think of a reason why I should have them just go through the roof instead, as is done conventionally?

An attic wall exit would not work for some houses because it looks ugly, but in this case the pipe would be actually less visible there than exiting from the roof.

I'm thinking that too sharp of a bend after going out the wall could cause problems with freezing water, but I'm not sure how different that is from having a bend in the vent pipe in a vented attic if multiple vents are combined?

Can anyone think of a reason to have them not do this? Thanks.

DarkNova

Reaction score
I checked the local code and it requires that if it is vented through a wall it actually has to terminate downward, so that seems to solve the problem of freezing water inside it. Does terminating downward reduce vent function?

Otherwise the vent needs to be located a certain distance from windows and air intakes, and that's not a problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANY extended, external, pipe in Wisconsin will be susceptible to internal frost build up and thus clogging regardless of which way the terminal faces, (and turning an elbow downward would do NOTHING to prevent it and if installed correctly it would NOT need the downward elbow).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where there is the possibility of hoar frost closing off a vent line, code generally requires it to be larger than otherwise. A vent line must still have the proper slope to it to allow condensation and precipitation to drain out and maintain its vent function.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Are you sure you are workung with a WI licensed plumber? A vent terminal may not terminate through a wall without written approval from the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services. No one would bother trying to get such an approval if there were a reasonable way to put the vent through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks