Plumber did not set shower pan square, any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Algen

Reaction score
So the pan was installed last week for our shower. Prior to the plumber showing up, I plumbed all the walls with sister studs. When the plumbers left the tub was still covered. In fact the tub stayed covered until last night, when I needed to tape the tub off for redgard. Unfortunately, the pan is not set square in the alcove. I called the plumber this morning, and am waiting on a call back from them. Is there anything that can be done so that tile flange will be able to have tile laid on it without ripping everything out? Cannot build out a small section as the doors we are putting in are frameless with NO OUT OF PLUMB adjustment. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20200625_083745.jpg
    20200625_083745.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 20200625_083759.jpg
    20200625_083759.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 20200625_083808.jpg
    20200625_083808.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 247

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either the pan is not to size or the framing in the wall is a bit wide. Normally I can barely fit the pan in the alcove.
One of the joys of the job, making things work.

Algen

Reaction score
What about putting 1/4" durock on top of the 1/2"?
Either the pan is not to size or the framing in the wall is a bit wide. Normally I can barely fit the pan in the alcove.
One of the joys of the job, making things work.

USG and Redgard both said to use 1/4 on top of the membrane and dont add additonal redgard. Do you think this would be the easiest solution? The pan does have enough space to sit straight the plumber botched the install. I know I would have to redo the transition from board to drywall, but it would be way easier than pulling everybit back down and moving every single stud out by 3/16" or so.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Out here I do about 95 percent hot mop but have installed manyfiberglass shower pans what I dont do is frame the walls drywall hardi backer either and certainly not redguard so the botch job would have been by others .
It seems you answered your question on putting hardibacker to fur it proper. didnt you say thats recomended? But basicaly if room is a bit big fur it to fit.
In all my cases I just installed the pan as long as pan fit the space was all that was expected of me. If a general contractor or owner is available Ill mention it , but if they choose to leave job unsupervised I might or might not bother because as you can imagine its a lot of time to chase people down holding hands costs money , I try to be fair but others have to cooperate you just cant imagine the many hours talking about this stuff because of others lack of knowledge or effort

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks