Plumbed propane line

Users who are viewing this thread

Gadgetman

Reaction score
Hello, I've got a strange issue here. I live in the Northcentral WA state where many of us have propane tanks outside our homes for 1 or 2 appliances (like ranges and fireplaces). Since power is so cheap, everything else is electric.

I have a propane range, and while cleaning it a few days ago, I thought I smelled propane. I called the gas company, came right out and hooked up their testing gauge to my propane line, claimed there was a leak, and locked my tank until a licensed plumber could find/fix the leak. The plumber can out yesterday, spent 3 hours testing and re-testing and found no leak. He ran green dye through the line (found no trace of it inside), hooked an air compressor up and got it up to 100psi and detected no drop in pressure. He even hooked up his gauges to my grill propane tank to prove their accuracy. He left a gauge on overnight, with pressure, and it was still holding steady at 15psi the next day.

So I had the gas company come back, they quickly hooked up their pressure tester again, claimed there was still a leak, and told me to call the plumber back. Now, I'm stuck. The plumber said he did everything he could. I suspect the gas company has a faulty gauge or something. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Was the range disconnected during the test? Since you smelled propane when working on that, has the appliance connector and range itself been checked?

Gadgetman

Reaction score
Was the range disconnected during the test? Since you smelled propane when working on that, has the appliance connector and range itself been checked?
Yes, range was disconnected and valves closed during the plumber and gas company tests.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Call Gas Co. and tell them problem is fixed, then call Plumber back and schedule him to come out at the same time Gas company is there. Two Pros working directly with each other is much better than having the homeowner in between.

That idea only works if the Gas Co gives you a reasonable arrival time (not the "sometime between 8 and 2" like my utility companies give).

Gadgetman

Reaction score
Call Gas Co. and tell them problem is fixed, then call Plumber back and schedule him to come out at the same time Gas company is there. Two Pros working directly with each other is much better than having the homeowner in between.

That idea only works if the Gas Co gives you a reasonable arrival time (not the "sometime between 8 and 2" like my utility companies give).
Thanks, I'm trying to arrange that. I've got them both in a 1hr window. I'll post their findings.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hereabouts, there are a dozen outfits competing for your business. It may not be so in your neck of the woods. Locally, I would tell them to pucker up and kiss me goodbye and take your tank with you. By the end of the day a competitor will be dropping a tank in my yard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks