Plumb W/D

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric2007

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving my W/D up to 2nd floor and using 1/2" Pex, a couple of Sharkbites couplings & Webstone fittings for the plumbing part which I found at Houseneeds.com. My question is: How do I go about extending the washing machine drain? Does it need to run straigt down to the basement or can it elbow to a long horizantal run before elbowing down to the exhisting PVC drain?

Thanks for any help!

:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need the proper standpipe height, and a trap. Then you can run it down almost any way you want as long as you maintain a minimum of 1/4" per foot. I think that you'd need to re-vent it nearer to the new trap.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The washer drain needs to be 2". There is a vertical pipe (standpipe) above a trap that you hook the washer hose to. This needs to be a specific height (don't remember now, but you can search and find it). You need a trap below that standpipe otherwise, any soap scum in that 10-15' or more of pipe will be open to the bedrooms and smell eventually. The trap isolates all that pipe run from the house.

Yes, that 1/4" per foot is the slope. Any near horizontal lines need that slope or more.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Today's code, as I understand it, requires 2". Using less risks overflow from today's high efficiency washers and pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks