Plugging a drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

alexlacelle

Reaction score
Recently while removing a floating floor I discovered an old unused 1 1/2 inch waste line in my basement. Based on the cutout in the cement, this was used as a floor drain, however a new drain has since been installed. I'd like to plug this pipe prior to installing a new floor over it.

The pipe appears to be some type of metal (cast iron?). The top of the pipe is in bad shape so any type of cap that would sit over top would not work. I'm hoping to find some type of plug that fits inside this pipe, however so far I can't seem to find anything for a 1 1/2 inch line.

Through online research I read suggestions such as filling the pipe with spray foam, or stuffing newspaper down into the pipe then cementing over top. Are these good ideas? Ideally I'd like to go with some type of reversible option should there ever be a future problem, but I will settle for a permanent option if nothing else is available.

Thanks for your help!

alexlacelle

Reaction score
Most plugs come with wing nuts.
http://newsite.cherneind.com/Mechanical_Plugs/Original_Gripper/

I like to cut down lower on the pipe and cap them instead.
Stuffing the pipe and cementing in works too.

Thanks for the reply. What would you recommend to use to stuff the pipe prior to cementing it in?

The pipe is already cut about 2 inches below the top of my slab so I think that will be fine. I'll try to find one of the plugs you linked to as that would work perfectly, but if I can't source one I'll go the cement option.

Erico

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks