Plugging 3" PVC Pipe Flush to concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

DJL

Reaction score
My basement has two extra unused PVC drain pipes protruding from the concrete. These are not the basement bathroom stubouts as those are located elsewhere. My guess is the builder put these in as a generic "cookie cutter" approach to house building.

Anyway, I'm finishing my basement and I need to cap these flush with the concrete so that finished flooring can go over them. The attached picture shows only one of these two extra pipes. The main cleanout also shows in the picture, but it is already flush with the concrete.

There's some space around the pipe, so I might be able to glue a regular cap on the outside of the pipe, but the cap still wouldn't sit flush to the concrete. My local big box store had this cap, but it looked really flimsy (could see through it) and there isn't much glue surface. Is there a flush cap fitting that I can buy to glue in there? If not, can I just stuff a rag down the pipe cover that with 2 or 3" of concrete?

Attachments

• hallway.jpg
    hallway.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 409
  • stub.jpg.jpg
    stub.jpg.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 497

DJL

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. That page says "will not hold pressure. Just a decorative or finish plug. Mostly for keeping dirt out of pipes for transport/assembly." I'm wondering if that won't be adequate as the pressure from waste water above (2 story house) could push this out or leak around the edges.

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for plug 449-030 pvc

Seems like a shame to permanently plug a perfectly good floor drain spot.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure they're both drains?

It's possible one of those might be for radon abatement.

DJL

Reaction score
Are you sure they're both drains?

It's possible one of those might be for radon abatement.

It's interesting you said that. We had a radon guy come and do a test, and I asked him if he knew what they might be and he mentioned radon mitigation as a possibility. But he didn't seem to know for sure. We eventually plan to have them come put a radon mitigation system in and he doesn't plan to use them. Is there a way to tell?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't do radon, but I think that pipe would be open ended right into crushed stone used for the base under the concrete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks