Plugged toilet or drain?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by banjo bud, Jul 20, 2020.

1. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

When my father in laws toilet Is flushed, it goes down ok but not as fast as it did a week ago. If you throw TP in it, then flush, the water rises in the bowl to almost overflow, then takes maybe 3 minutes to drain. Then, an hour later it goes back to flushing ok but not great
    again. I snaked down through the toilet and can get through the S turn but then the snake stops at about the bottom of the toilet where it would go into the floor. My thought is that something got dropped into the toilet like a pill bottle, or a pair of glasses etc. Then that object got stuck in the last turn of the trap. It’s not big enough to block the toilet from flushing liquid but TP gets hung up on the object. Then the TP dissolves and it goes back to working, but works just ok. So, I’ll take the toilet off it’s mount, turn it over, remove the object, put a new wax ring on and remount it. Is my logic good or bad? I should also ad that the toilet 5’ upstream From this one flushes fine and it’s on the same drain line.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Your logic is good, except if it needed a plunger more than once/year/person before it degraded, consider a new toilet. You will go through most of the work to just pull the old toilet, so putting in a new one would not be much extra work. New ones usually flush better.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

The toilet is only 3 years old.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    There could be a partial clog in the toilet, or, it could be further down the line. If the backup is variable, that implies it may be further down the line.