Plug for testing the pan liner in the shower base??

Users who are viewing this thread

Designie

Reaction score
Now that I have the shower pans built and have the PVC liner and the 3 piece drains in place, how do you get down to the pipe to put in the plug? I noticed every place has pretty much the same expanding rubber plug with the wing nut on it. Problem is, they don't fit down past the threads in the 3 piece drain.

So if they are selling a million of these Sioux Chief drains from Home Depot, how are they plugging them to do the water leak test? :mad:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A plumbing supply house would have an inflatable, reusable plug designed for this, but some people just use a rubber balloon. The trick is to blow it up then tie the neck off while standing on your head! A long one makes it easier. It has to extend far enough to block the weep holes.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
A plumbing supply house would have an inflatable, reusable plug designed for this, but some people just use a rubber balloon. The trick is to blow it up then tie the neck off while standing on your head! A long one makes it easier. It has to extend far enough to block the weep holes.

Serious - OMG

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; How do you measure the evaporation rate?

WHO CARES? You are looking for leaks from the pan, not loss of water from it, and since you are only testing for a short time evaporation will be a nonissue unless you are in the Sahara Desert.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Measuring Evaporation durning a flood test of your shower

Serious - OMG

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually, we test for leaking shower pans by filling them with water and LOOKING for water outside the unit, which is also what the inspector does. As for using a balloon for a test plug, I doubt that anyone could blow one up with the pressure needed to seal it in the drain, especially since a balloon can expand longitudinally as it is inflated so it does NOT have to expand outward against the pipe walls.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see a need for a flood test longer than say overnight or maybe 24-hours. A shower doesn't have standing water in it unless your drain clogs, and if you don't see any evidence of a leak in 24-hours, it isn't going to be a problem. In a conventional shower, 24-hours would saturate it and show a leak in the liner, if there was one. In a surface membrane or waterproofing scheme, there's no mortar bed to saturate.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

Serious - OMG

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A competant inspector at least should NOT pass a shower liner installed flat on the floor. Code requires the waterproof layer to be sloped to the drain...the tile is decorative, it is NOT the waterproof layer. I'm sure it happens every day, but I also agree, it is just NOT RIGHT.

The natural alkalinity of a mortar shower base tends to inhibit nasty stuff from growing in the saturated mudbed for awhile. But, eventually, body oils, detergents, soaps, and other soluable things that can and will accumulate there if the liner is flat will start to 'fester' Ever walked through a swamp in the dead of summer heat? Your shower WILL start smelling like that if the liner (or surface membrane if using that type) is not properly sloped and is used well and frequently. May take a number of years, but unless only occasionally used, that stuff will accumulate. But, if it is sloped, it eventually drains. This is why is it crucial to keep the weep holes on a conventional clamping drain clear and to have that slope.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
FWIW, the International Plumbing Code requires a 15-minute shower liner flood test (section 312.9). I opted for a 24-hour test on my Kerdi shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks