Please look at my hot water plumbing remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I have a hot water recirculation system in my house and I'm not happy with how it was installed. When it runs it causes the water heater to cycle on and off as the cool water returns to the tank even though no one is using hot water. When I turn off the pump it takes a long time for the kitchen to get hot water. Here is a schematic of the current layout.

old.png

Here is my proposed remodel. All of the pipe is PEX and I have full access to every thing from the unfinished basement. I've also done a number of PEX bathroom remodels, but never anything this big. My thought is that by redoing the water recirculation loop I can dramatically shorten the supply lines and make the kitchen first rather than last to get hot water. As part of this I'm going to add an occupancy sensor to the bathrooms so the recirculation pump only runs when someone is in the room. Am I thinking correctly or is there a better way to do this?
new.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
To me it looks like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. But I'm not there to see what your actually have.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do evertyhing you can now to shorten your run times for hot water. Whenever we can in a remodel, I route the hot water under every fixture possible. 5 sec to hot water is noticably way better than 30sec.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks