please help with waterlogged bladerless tank

Users who are viewing this thread

ugabulldog

Reaction score
My pump was short cycling so I drained tank (also had to replace sediment filter and fix slow leak) Drain in near bottom of tank but not underneath, so all drained except maybe e few galloons? I got everything hooked back up and let sit for an hour then turned pump back on and it did not take long to cut off so I thought something was wrong. Then I turned on hose to get pump to turn on and it was still cycling for about 20 seconds at 30 psi and 60 psi cut in/off. .....So, I got compressor out to add air, checked shrader valve near top of tank and water came out, I did this 3 or 4 times and now I am really confused. Here is a picture of tank, you can see air control valve abut half way up.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 258

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are basically two types of AVC, those that let air out and those that let air in. Since there is no line connected to that one I assume it is supposed to let air out. If that style fails, it cannot let out all of the air since it is low on the tank so your problem is with the airmaker between the pump and the tank. Can you describe what sort of airmaker you have?

ugabulldog

Reaction score
There are basically two types of AVC, those that let air out and those that let air in. Since there is no line connected to that one I assume it is supposed to let air out. If that style fails, it cannot let out all of the air since it is low on the tank so your problem is with the airmaker between the pump and the tank. Can you describe what sort of airmaker you have?

I have a hydro-charger that sucks air in on the well side of tank that is part of my filter system. I didnt hink that was the problem since the tnak was 90% air when emptied. Also, I can't figure out why tank filled up so fast and there appears to be water all the way to top of tank since it is coming out of the shrader valve.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the tank was waterlogged before you drained it, then your airmaker is not working.

When you drained the tank how do you know it drained fully? Maybe there was water airlocked in the tank? If there was less than 90% air, that amount of air would have compressed into the small space above where the schrader valve is on the side of the tank. When you added air with the compressor, did you let water out to make room for the air?

Draw water from the tank until it is almost down to the cut-in pressure and then add air until it reaches the cut-out pressure. Repeat until the AVC starts to bleed off the surplus.

Monitor the water level in the tank by where the sweat line is. If the tank does not sweat, hold you hand against the tank to feel where it is colder. You could also use a flame from a propane torch to lick the side of the tank. Where there is water, it will sweat more than where this is air.

ugabulldog

Reaction score
Hydro charger wasnt working because it was clogged but I cleaned it and now it is working because I felt suction on finger. I know water was drained because I cut bottom pvc pipe in picture on a horizontal plane to fix leak.

I did not add air with compressor because water came out of shrader valve. I can do as you suggested by drawing water down,adding air, repeat. But I still can't understand why it wouldn't have enough air in tank after being drained.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You probably also have an air leak at the top of the tank. A Schrader valve at the top or any fitting up there can easily let all the air quickly. I quit putting pressure switches on the air side of the tank, because even the rubber diaphragm in a pressure switch will let air molecules through, but not water. Any fitting on the upper side of the tank is suspect and needs to be check with soapy water under pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks