Please help with regeneration error and noise

Users who are viewing this thread

mrt049

Reaction score
When my water softener regenerates I get an "ERR3" message and a very loud shaking noise with about 24 minutes left. Does anyone know how I can fix this. The sound is so loud at 3:00 in the morning and is much louder inside the house. I always jump out of bed when I hear it and it's happening at every regeneration now. What is Error 3 and what is up with the loud shaking noise? I don't know much about replacing parts or anything so do I need to call a professional or is there an easy fix for this? Thank you!!

The error comes on at around 20 seconds into the video and the noise starts at 27 seconds.

Reach4

Reaction score
See http://waterpurification.pentair.co...orma-series-valves-service-manual-3003714.pdf page 37.

Since it only occurs at that point in the cycle, I am not confident that the "Correction" items will correct this. I wonder if something mechanical is keeping the softener from advancing.

I would either call a pro, or do a rebuild and put in a new air check valve as suggested in your other thread.

That was not much of a noise in your video.

Last edited:

mrt049

Reaction score
See http://waterpurification.pentair.co...orma-series-valves-service-manual-3003714.pdf page 37.

Since it only occurs at that point in the cycle, I am not confident that the "Correction" items will correct this. I wonder if something mechanical is keeping the softener from advancing.

I would either call a pro, or do a rebuild and put in a new air check valve as suggested in your other thread.

That was not much of a noise in your video.

The noise may not have sounded like much but in the middle of the night it shakes the walls and the bathroom window. Wakes us up in a panic. This was the first time I could actually hear it during the day and it really wasn't that loud outside but inside the master bedroom which is directly behind that wall, it's very loud.

I have no idea how to do a rebuild but I'm confident I could replace the air check valve. Might need a professional for this one.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no idea how to do a rebuild but I'm confident I could replace the air check valve. Might need a professional for this one.
With your original symptoms, the air check valve seemed like a potential explaination. But that would not explain the Error 3. Error 3 seems to indicate that the softener tried to move to the next step, but the sensor did not detect that the move had been successful in the expected time.

If the unit is softening well, you could consider moving the regen time to 9 AM, or 2 pm, or whatever, as a workaround.

I suspect you have a 268 valve http://waterpurification.pentair.com/es-ES/product/autotrol/performa-263-268/ with a 768 controller. Click Inbox above.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Err3 can be either the motor is not advancing (easily determined visually) or the optical encoder is failing and needs replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks