Please help with indentifying this fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
I need to find parts (washers, seats, etc.) for this old fixture.

It is dripping and before I shut off the water main to disassemble I would like to know what brand I'm dealing with.

These might be original fixtures from 1939.

In addition, how do I remove the handles, I don't see a set-screw and they appear to be corroded on.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Attachments

• IMG00042-20090403-1950.jpg
    IMG00042-20090403-1950.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG00043-20090403-1951.jpg
    IMG00043-20090403-1951.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG00045-20090403-1951.jpg
    IMG00045-20090403-1951.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG00046-20090403-1951.jpg
    IMG00046-20090403-1951.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 246

Cookie

Reaction score
To me, it wouldn't be worth it. If it is corroded for one, secondly, to find what you need isn't worth it, I would buy new and be done with it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Look under the handles closely and there should be a set screw....they look like the ones in my bathroom when I was growing up...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That looks like some old Price Pfisters I have worked on. But although the company is 100 years old, I belive that shower set would be post WWII. If yours is original from 1939, it might be Sayco. From this era, PP was largely a California company. Are you east of the Rockies?

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
old fixtures

thanks to all who have replied.

I'm in San Jose, CA.

I will look more closely for a set-screw, thanks.

If I can find parts I will replace all the trim, but if you are suggesting that I remove tile to replace the valve body, that would be hard to do because the tile is so old that it would be hard to match.

regards,

steve

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
thanks to all who have replied.

I'm in San Jose, CA.

I will look more closely for a set-screw, thanks.

If I can find parts I will replace all the trim, but if you are suggesting that I remove tile to replace the valve body, that would be hard to do because the tile is so old that it would be hard to match.

regards,

steve

Some homes have access on the wall behind the valve body. You would just remove allthe trim on the front. Then undo the pipes from behind and pull the valve body out. If I seen the stem I can tell you right off what kind of facuet that is. Other than that its to hard for me to tell from just seeing the handles and spout.

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
response to seweratz

thanks seweratz,

Unfortunetly there is not an access panel behind the wall. The other side is a tiled coffin shower.

Once i'm sure i can get parts i will start the project. i'm sure there is no shut off valves on the valve body so i have to turn the water off at the main to do the work.

BTW, this is a great site because of people like you, jimbo, cass, and cookie; thanks for all of your responses.

steve

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the ego boost. And as you are in California, I would put more money on that being PP. Sayco was not big out here at all, even now, and back in the day, PP had sales reps roaming the state calling on builders and plumbing contractors.

I am quite sure that the "business end" of your stems will be compatible with a currently available set of PP long shower stems, plus the Verve ( metal ) or Windsor ( clear acrylic ) handles. Any brand of tub spout ( threaded ). You will have some options for trim finish, like brushed nickel. You can most likely remove your seats from the hot and cold sides and get ceramic disc stems, which would open up some more trim options, like levers and venetian bronze. A good plumbing supplier ( not blue or orange ) could show you what's available.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

That handle fastening system was a typical American Standard design. You unscrew those retainer caps from under the handle. The handle comes off and there are screws inside holding the retainer to the stem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks