please help! why is shower valve not centered?

Users who are viewing this thread

shawn03

Reaction score
Hi,

I've hired someone to remove a jacuzzi tub and replace it with a standard 32" tub / shower combo. I came home yesterday and noticed the valve was installed nowhere close to center - it's at about 11.5" when I thought it would be centered at 16".

Is there some reason this would be or can it be changed? I feel like I'd have to shower right up against the wall or sideways! Definitely not what I wanted. I've tried to reach the person I hired but he is unresponsive over the weekend (I would switch to someone else, but I need my bathroom back asap).

I live on the 8th floor of a 1970 condo building if that's helpful.
20141003_173457.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Did you measure the centre of the drain on the tub? That is usually the centre to which the rest is based off of, not the overall width of the tub.

If you wanted it mounted off-centre, you probably should have specified.

Reactions: SHR

shawn03

Reaction score
Thanks LLigetfa, I did and the drain is 16" in - right in the middle of the tub. I definitely didn't want it out of line or off center - is there anything in the picture that makes it look difficult to center maybe? Hopefully it can be changed without too much of an added delay

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Where are you located? If you have an issue with the "person you hired" (licensed plumber?), we can recommend a good licensed plumber. Your choice may be to have a stupid setup (getting it "back quickly") or getting it done right. I would opt for the latter. What's one week compared to a decade of hating your shower?

There's nothing in the picture that would make it impossible to center, but we don't know the whole situation. Certainly the drain might be harder to move, but you say that it is in a logical place and that this doesn't line up with it. The norm would be that it does.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your option is to not pay for a substandard installation and have him come back and install it correctly. There is almost NEVER any reason not to center the valve on the drain.

shawn03

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I did hire a licensed contractor who hired this plumber. My guess is this was just the easiest way to install without having to move the large copper pipe or the galvenized steel one. However, they can be moved... Right? Here's one more picture showing the full setup. Thanks again

Attachments

• 20141004_233122.jpg
    20141004_233122.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,164

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 3/4 copper line will have to be moved for sure. Maybe between that and using a street 90 to feed the cold side of the valve it might be close enough. You'll have to check. The galvanized pipe is scary. The next joint that would allow you to break in and elbow over to make room to move the valve, might be behind the wall in the next unit upstairs. Can't tell from the picture.

shawn03

Reaction score
Thank you fullysprinklered. When you say move the 3/4 copper pipe, do you mean move it slightly closer to tbe galvanized pipe, or do you mean move it all the way to the other / left side of the valve?

The 3/4 copper line will have to be moved for sure. Maybe between that and using a street 90 to feed the cold side of the valve it might be close enough. You'll have to check. The galvanized pipe is scary. The next joint that would allow you to break in and elbow over to make room to move the valve, might be behind the wall in the next unit upstairs. Can't tell from the picture.

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
Thank you fullysprinklered. When you say move the 3/4 copper pipe, do you mean move it slightly closer to tbe galvanized pipe, or do you mean move it all the way to the other / left side of the valve?

Hard to tell from the picture, but probably all the way over to the left to make room for the valve. You'd have to take a few measurements of the valve width and see what clearance you'd have to the galvanized pipe. Whether the valve will fit at 16" OC (without moving galv pipe) and/or can the 3/4" line stay on the right side.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are some obstructions there if it is to be centered. You may need to move some of that, which in an eight story, could involve some work. Can the pipe to the right be isolated? Sometimes you have units with individual shutoffs, and then there are the common lines that require a complete building shutdown with previous notification.

All things are possible. Some things take more time and money to do that. If you have your wallet out, I can move an entire building.
I would at least want the shower head centered. I like to stand in the center. :)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The galvanized pipe appears to be forward enough that the 1/2" cold feed might actually be able snug in behind it if a street is used. Just don't let them touch.

For looks, I think having the tub filler centred is more important. Shower heads have a ball joint and can be aimed so you can stand in the middle even if the head is not. You can however, easily jog it over to centre.

In my neo-angle shower, nothing is centred.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104966669054175018974/BathReno#5461627641705378674

neo_offcenter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally with a Neoangle pan, I rough the shower head at 14-1/2" from the inside corner. The same as what I do for a standard 30" tub which has a 14.5" drain offset.
I don't like it too close to the door, because it angles in on you. I like to stand in the deep part of the neo angle shower base.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well... those are 16" tiles so you can see it's closer to the corner than the door.

Thanks for fixing the link to the pic. Pathetic that an old IT guy could not make it work. :oops:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The galvanized pipe appears to be forward enough that the 1/2" cold feed might actually be able snug in behind it if a street is used. Just don't let them touch.

For looks, I think having the tub filler centred is more important. Shower heads have a ball joint and can be aimed so you can stand in the middle even if the head is not. You can however, easily jog it over to centre.

In my neo-angle shower, nothing is centred.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104966669054175018974/BathReno#5461627641705378674

neo_offcenter.jpg

shawn03

Reaction score
Great thoughts guys and I will be sure to pass these along. Before Friday, there were no copper pipes at all. Those were installed Friday by the building (there was just galvanized steel and angle stops before) so that my plumber could install the valve.

I'm actually not sure why the building paid for the replacement (maybe it's a code issue?) but now my contractor is saying if I want to move the large copper pipe (to make room for the valve) the building needs to do it. I'm guessing they'll balk at the idea, but I will ask first thing and let you guys know.

I guess if it's off center it's not the end of the world. He did say regardless he would be able to center the shower head and tub faucet

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks