Please help we can't find my well

Users who are viewing this thread

chowz

Reaction score
Please help we can't find our well

We can't find our well and our foot valve is going fast. It is a shallow dug well that is about 20 feet deep. We have tried to follow the pipes coming off of the pump but they go deep uderground very quickly. They run under our house and all there is is a crawl space with about a foot to a foot and a half of clearance. All we know is that the well is in the back yard. Any suggestions on how to find it?:confused:

Last edited:

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
If you were in my neighborhood I would suggest a metal detector. Metal cover or metal casing??... Next i would suggest a stethoscope. Drawing air makes noise... But i think wells are kind of a regional thing.

Speedbump

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my dad would take me to a job, hand me a shovel and tell me to follow the pipes until I found the well. I presume that's what you will be doing soon.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Another way is a long thin stiff steel rod pushed/pounded down maybe 4' all over the yard until you find the cover over the well. Or find water squirting up out the hole in the water line you just made as you pull the rod out. LOL

Hint, the well may be just past the edge of the house. If you guess where the water line might come out from under the house, and then try the rod there and farther away from the house.... you may find it. If there is a well pit, the cover may be 3' or more square and may be concrete.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Where I’m at you have to have the location of any well registered at the health department and the city permit office. I would try making those 2 phone calls and see if that helps.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Following pipes

Why not unhook one of the offset pipes and run an electrical snake through it until it hits the elbow at the end of the offset pipe. Pull snake back out and measure it. Then use length of snake to measure a radius from outside of foundation to give you an approximate location of where well head might be located, then use the metal detector trick?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks