Please Help - Toilet Bowl Only Fills Half Way

Users who are viewing this thread

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Can someone please help me resolve an issue I'm having with my Mancessa (by Mansfield) 4860 toilet?

When I flush the toilet water from the tank flushes the waste down the drain, the flapper closes, the tank refills with water up to the water line and the ballcock valve shuts off completely. My problem is that the bowl is only partially filling to perhaps 50% of the water that used to fill the bowl. To me it seemed that the flapper was closing too quickly so installed a new flapper and the result is still the same.

I contacted Mansfield Plumbing Products and they were not helpful as the Mancessa line of toilets are made in Columbia, South America and shipped directly to big box stores in the US so they apparently do not support these foreign made toilets.

When I look at the insides of the toilet it looks the same as most any other toilet I've seen with a typical ballcock fill valve on the left side with a small hose that is attached to an overflow tube and a standard size flapper attached to the handle with a chain. So far the only way to fill the bowl up to the original water level is to hold down the handle to keep the flapper up while the toilet flushes and then fills the bowl to an appropriate level. Can anyone explain what's going on and how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
A ballcock has a big float (ball) on an arm. Is that what you have? The reason I ask is that most toilets today don't use a ballcock. They use a fill valve with a float that is over to the left. https://terrylove.com/hunter.htm

Is the little tube directed down the overflow tube, as it should be?

mansfield_toilet_inside_tank.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you can replace the ballcock with the newer type of fill valve. You can get that in versions that allow you to adjust the refill rate.

https://www.korky.com/parts/fill-valve-replacements?field_visual_selector_category=209#facets lists Mancessa as a brand, but they don't list 4860. Their 528MP has adjustable refill with a screw.

Fluidmaster also has good universal fill valves. Their refill adjustment is a pinch clamp that goes on the refill tube.

I think one of their universal units would very probably do the job.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/how_to_install_a_plunger_valve_ballcock_HT_PG_PL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pour water slowly into the bowl, and see where the full line is. There should be a point that it attains based on the highest point of the curve of the trapway, which acts as a dam.
Looking at your pictures, it seems it should be refilling. I worked on a Mansfield two days ago, and the bowl refill worked without any input from the fill valve, making me wonder if it isn't a bowl issue for you.

Moondoggy

Reaction score
OK..... I have created a side-by-side view of the toilet bowl I'm having problems with. The view on the left shows the amount of water that I'm currently getting in the bowl and the view on the right shows the correct fill line when I slowly pour water into the bowl to attain it's highest level. Note that up to a few weeks ago, the water level on the right side view was what I was seeing upon every flush. As I stated previously, I have replaced the flapper with a new top of the line Korky flapper and tried all of the adjustments available on the flapper and the same amount of water fills the bowl each time. Reach4 suggested that I replace the ballcock with a newer style fill valve. Do you think the problem is with the value as there really isn't much there to replace other than the valve. Thanks for the replies.
Toilet Bowl Fill Lines.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It doesn't appear that there's a kink in the tubing, but there could be some crud in it, preventing it from refilling the bowl to the design level. When you flush the toilet, how steady is the stream going out that tubing? On most toilets...that is what refills the bowl.

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what was wrong with the old ballcock but I replaced it with a new Fluidmaster today and it took care of the issue. In fact, I had to adjust the pinch clamp a bit because it was putting too much water in the bowl. In my experience the ballcock values simple break their seal at the top and spray water against the tank cover but this was not the case here. Anyway, it's fixed and I thank you all for your advice.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks