Please help outdoor tub boulders and concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

B Rad

Reaction score
Another project that I should have researched and spent more time in planning stages. I built a hot tub outdoor with a submersible stove. I hit solid Rock at 2 feet deep so I broke a layer of rock out and made a form for concrete. Below the form I used roofing felt that said waterproof but two layers overlapping. Bad idea. Then went up from there with large boulders and masonery mix. On outside on all the concrete I coated with flex seal. And then wrapped with more of the felt paper. I have finished and it losses a lot of water. At first tons of bubbles in floor I believe most is in floor and near the bottom. Oh yea for asthetics and feel I put many sandstone rocks in the slab and this was area of most bubbles. So it s leaving around rock to mortar. I am going to drain and try something to improve. One idea being aquarium silicone around the rocks and where slab meets Mason. I think also issue on outside where slab meets walls since there is a lap of of many seams of paper. Please help and input is valued but try not to be too hard on me. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To be successful, you really need to build something like this as if it were a pool, or a very deep shower pan. The materials you used will only slow the loss of water, not stop it. Leaking water constantly will also entice roots, carpenter ants, and termites.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks