Please Help ME!!!!! Shower leak (unusual)

Users who are viewing this thread

Williamhack05

Reaction score
I have had 3 plumbers out, 2 of which had over 20 years of experience. I am at a loss.

The Issue: Shower leaks on the exterior of the shower pan causing damage to flooring and starting to damage floorboard.
The Leak: It only leaks when hot water is turned on, but the temperature of the leaking water is room temp. It is a slow leak.
The Faucet: Overhead rain faucet, handheld sprayer, main shower faucet.
Shower Enclosure: Tile on walls, plastic shower pan (no sand/mortar base), 2 glass sliding doors. Pan was installed with incorrect pitch. Following this pitch will lead to where the leak becomes visible on the floor, on the exterior of the shower pan. It only leaks when the hot water is on.

What I've attempted:
Re-caulk drain. This was a waste of time as there is nothing wrong with the drain.
Re-caulk the joint for tile/shower.
Remove door, re-install, re-caulk. Definitely not the door.
Visually inspected Grout, in good shape.
Visually inspected floor board from crawlspace, no visible water damage (yet).
Visually inspected shower pan for cracks, no luck.
Cut 2 holes in drywall, one by faucet location, one by backerboard/showerpan joint. Nothing obvious except I can see water damage on the floor board. Leak must be coming from the top (not the drain).

I am seriously so stuck and ready to give up. I am desperate. Thank you.

Will

Reach4

Reaction score
Some potential tests to test various aspects -- order not significant, I don't think.

1. Plug the drain. Fill the shower pan with water for a couple inches. See if water leaks onto the floor.
2. Run a garden hose down the drain. Maybe run garden hose in through a window.
3. Run the garden hose against the shower walls and corners, one at a time.
4. Temporarily replace showerhead with a 1/2 inch NPT cap. Turn on the water, and see if a leak develops.

Williamhack05

Reaction score
Is this a two handle faucet or a single handle?
A picture would help us here.
1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 175

Williamhack05

Reaction score
Some potential tests to test various aspects -- order not significant, I don't think.

1. Plug the drain. Fill the shower pan with water for a couple inches. See if water leaks onto the floor.
4. Temporarily replace showerhead with a 1/2 inch NPT cap. Turn on the water, and see if a leak develops.
1. Completed - No leaks

1-3 have been completed to no avail

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

Well.. you're down to #4. Plug both shower outlets with capped threaded nipples and turn the shower on.

Intermittent leaks on showers rarely come from the water piping but in this case, it could. I did once have a cracked shower valve casting that only leaked when the shower got hot.

Kind of weird that you didn't get any water when performing the tests to fill the shower unless you filled it with water from some other source or maybe didn't use any hot water?

Williamhack05

Reaction score
Well.. you're down to #4. Plug both shower outlets with capped threaded nipples and turn the shower on.

Intermittent leaks on showers rarely come from the water piping but in this case, it could. I did once have a cracked shower valve casting that only leaked when the shower got hot.

Kind of weird that you didn't get any water when performing the tests to fill the shower unless you filled it with water from some other source or maybe didn't use any hot water?
I will put the threaded nipples on and give it a go - good suggestion.

Yes, this situation is super weird. I am thinking it is the valve. How else could it only leak on hot water, right?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I originally missed the rain showerhead.
The photos were added after your comment I believe but either way, Both outlets would have the same 1/2 iron pipe size threads. Same cap for both outlets. to test.

Williamhack05

Reaction score
The photos were added after your comment I believe but either way, Both outlets would have the same 1/2 iron pipe size threads. Same cap for both outlets. to test.
I am going to run this test. What are your thoughts on it being the valve? That would explain why it would only leak on hot water, correct? Thank you for your help. My wife thanks you too :)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't thank anyone until the problem has been identified. Leaks like that are super rare.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks