Please Help Free Flowing Irrigation needings pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Rekehs

Reaction score
Hello guys, i need a little bit of help, the picture below is what i initially planned to do using goulds irri-gator 1.5HP but i was told that the irri-gator doesnt work with a pressure tank and the shallow well pump will easily burn if used in this manner. The water is coming from a free flowing artesian well.

Please advice on what pump to get. Thank you.

93498098_2349460848685548_1366766208287768576_o.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What is a VU Flow or YU flow? Is that a check valve?

Tell us about the well? 2 inch pipe, or what?

Rekehs

Reaction score
What is a VU Flow or YU flow? Is that a check valve?

Tell us about the well? 2 inch pipe, or what?
VU flow traps the sediments from the artesian well so the sand/sediments doesnt go to the sprinkler heads and clogs it up.

1.5" coming from the well.

thank you for your reply, appreciate the help.

Rekehs

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The Gator won't work any higher than maybe a 20/40 pressure switch. No it won't hurt the J10S to run 24/7/365. It says right on the side it is made for "continuous duty". It is cycling on and off that will destroy pumps.

Don't use a filter on the suction side of the pump. It will cause NPSH problems and starve the pump.

Cycling on and off is usually the biggest problem with irrigation, especially drip systems. If you are not matching every zone to the max output of the pump, the pump will cycle itself to death. Adding a CSV makes J10S pumps do what ever you want, down to running as little as 1 GPM drip zones.

Rekehs

Reaction score
The Gator won't work any higher than maybe a 20/40 pressure switch. No it won't hurt the J10S to run 24/7/365. It says right on the side it is made for "continuous duty". It is cycling on and off that will destroy pumps.

Don't use a filter on the suction side of the pump. It will cause NPSH problems and starve the pump.

Cycling on and off is usually the biggest problem with irrigation, especially drip systems. If you are not matching every zone to the max output of the pump, the pump will cycle itself to death. Adding a CSV makes J10S pumps do what ever you want, down to running as little as 1 GPM drip zones.

can i add the csv on the irrigator?
i need the volume of the irrigator than the pressure of the js pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Rekehs

Reaction score
If you want more pressure than a 1-stage centrifuge pump can produce but more volume than a jet pump produces, look into 2-stage and 3-stage irrigation pumps. https://www.pentair.com/en/products...rial/i2c_i2ci_two_stage_centrifugal_pump.html is an example.

https://www.rcworst.com/model-2c.html

If you are content with a lower flow to your irrigation heads or a lower pressure to your hose connection, you would not need an expensive multi-stage pump.
is there a goulds multi stage? is pentair good quality comparable to goulds?

Rekehs

Reaction score
If you want more pressure than a 1-stage centrifuge pump can produce but more volume than a jet pump produces, look into 2-stage and 3-stage irrigation pumps. https://www.pentair.com/en/products...rial/i2c_i2ci_two_stage_centrifugal_pump.html is an example.

https://www.rcworst.com/model-2c.html

If you are content with a lower flow to your irrigation heads or a lower pressure to your hose connection, you would not need an expensive multi-stage pump.
found your other link , that's way beyond how much we want to spend. and the pump is gonna be outside so with that price pump extremely hi probabilty of getting stolen. :(

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Try this search engine search: goulds ehm OR e-hm OR hsc

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is your definition of shallow well?

Most of Central and South Florida have very high hydrostatic water levels for most wells at 40 feet or 80 feet. It could be only 5 feet below grade. For irrigation only use an irrigation pump and a pressure tank is never needed or wanted. More likely your pipe from the well is 2". For the average home a 1 hp, 1.5 hp, or 2 hp is all that is needed. Depending on your power, either 120v or 240v may determine which pump to choose. There are thousands of homes in Florida that use these pumps, $244 to $300 price range at Lowes or HD. Florida has a lot of irrigation suppliers that sell to the public.

If you plan to put a spigot on the output side of the pump, there is alway one place at the top of the pump for purging and priming. When you use a hose do not use a nozzle and turn the water off with the pump running for more than a few minutes. Irrigation pumps can run for hours without water moving and it does happen when a valve fails to open in one zone.

What part of Florida?

Last edited:

Rekehs

Reaction score
What is your definition of shallow well?

Most of Central and South Florida have very high hydrostatic water levels for most wells at 40 feet or 80 feet. It could be only 5 feet below grade. For irrigation only use an irrigation pump and a pressure tank is never needed or wanted. More likely your pipe from the well is 2". For the average home a 1 hp, 1.5 hp, or 2 hp is all that is needed. Depending on your power, either 120v or 240v may determine which pump to choose. There are thousands of homes in Florida that use these pumps, $244 to $300 price range at Lowes or HD. Florida has a lot of irrigation suppliers that sell to the public.

If you plan to put a spigot on the output side of the pump, there is alway one place at the top of the pump for purging and priming. When you use a hose do not use a nozzle and turn the water off with the pump running for more than a few minutes. Irrigation pumps can run for hours without water moving and it does happen when a valve fails to open in one zone.

What part of Florida?
it is not a shallow well, it is a free flowing artesian well, i think i remember the guy said the artesian well around my area are in the 300ft range. there's 4 artesian wells in a 100 yard radius around me.
located in melbourne, florida.
i have no problem with power, i run a subpanel in the garage for the pumps, 1 free flowing artesian for irrigation and 1 shallow well for the house.

my thinking was i'm gonna add a pump, goulds irrigator, to automatically water the plants. st. augustine around the house, about 25ft around, drip irrigation for the trees and the raised bed garden. the problem i encounter is i want the pump to power when i use the hose (please refer to my first post picture). i can take oput the hose and just put 6 valves. just wanted to see if it can be done with the hose.
93790736_2351263845171915_5590532464167616512_o.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
it is not a shallow well, it is a free flowing artesian well,
By one definition, a shallow well is one that you can get the needed water by suction.

By that definition, a shallow well would seem to qualify. But when you say you want to suck 60 gpm from that 2 inch well, that could be a problem.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry, it read shallow well pump, I miss understood. For the drip zones just branch off from the sprinkler zones. This will reduce a lot of back pressure and the need for more zones. For the spigot, use an irrigation valve and tie it to an unused zone at the controller. To use the spigot, manually activate that zone with the controller.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sprinkler pumps like the Irri-Gator don't build enough pressure to use a 30/50 pressure switch. They either need to be manually turned on and off or use a pump start relay in the irrigation controller. If you want to use hoses and have water when a faucet is open, you will need to use a pump like the J10S or J15S that can build enough pressure to use with a pressure switch, pressure tank, and a Cycle Stop Valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks