Please Comment: PEX Leaching

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I just googled "PEX leaching". There are a lot of results condemning PEX as a harmful product. What does everybody else know about this?

Here's a quote:
"After three years of litigation, the
California Court of Appeal in Los Angeles ruled that a controversial plastic
drinking water pipe known as PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) must go through
an environmental review under the California Environmental Quality Act
("CEQA"). Studies have shown that PEX pipes leach MTBE and benzene into
drinking water, that PEX may prematurely decay and rupture, and that the
flammable material may allow fires to spread rapidly through homes with PEX
plumbing. The court therefore upheld the decision of California's Building
Standards Commission to conduct thorough environmental review before deciding
whether to allow the use of PEX."

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know where you got that quote, because CA now allows PEX, although not every local jurisdiction is on board.

I don't have any knowledge about the leaching thing.

You have to remember that in CA, every time a cell phone company tries to get a permit for a new antenna, wackos come out of the woodwork and claim that the radiation is dangerous. And many parts of CA still do not have flouridated water, due to opppostion from the same wackos. Faucets with PEX internal parts ....thank the CA prop 65. Welcome to LaLa land!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
604.11 California 2007 Plumbing Code....PEX allowed, subject to limitations of the famous matrix tables.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I just googled "PEX leaching". There are a lot of results condemning PEX as a harmful product. What does everybody else know about this?

Here's a quote:
"After three years of litigation, the
California Court of Appeal in Los Angeles ruled that a controversial plastic
drinking water pipe known as PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) must go through
an environmental review under the California Environmental Quality Act
("CEQA"). Studies have shown that PEX pipes leach MTBE and benzene into
drinking water, that PEX may prematurely decay and rupture, and that the
flammable material may allow fires to spread rapidly through homes with PEX
plumbing. The court therefore upheld the decision of California's Building
Standards Commission to conduct thorough environmental review before deciding
whether to allow the use of PEX."

Just walk away
;)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey Rugged. How long before this one turns into a full blown war? :D

I'm so damned sick of this subject. No matter what anyone says on either side, nobody is changing their minds. Might as well argue politics and religion.

Molo

Reaction score
I honestly did a search on the forum for PEX leaching before I posted this. I didn't come up with much so I went to Google. Then returned to the forum to open it up for discussion. I found some claims that it does leach bad stuff. I looked at some PEX fittings today (sharkbite made by Reliance) and they have the statement "known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects". What's the truth about this material (PEX) and it's fittings?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Hey Rugged. How long before this one turns into a full blown war? :D

I'm so damned sick of this subject. No matter what anyone says on either side, nobody is changing their minds. Might as well argue politics and religion.

I don't think it will happen on here. It's here to stay (the product) which is obvious. I don't knock anyone using it (I do) other than the fact that you have to have extensive background knowledge to know which one will last, which one won't.

There are so many flavors that baskin-robbins filed suit last week; stated they have the rights to "31 flavors" :D

Copper is copper, 2 flavors; thick and thin. :)

I honestly did a search on the forum for PEX leaching before I posted this. I didn't come up with much so I went to Google. Then returned to the forum to open it up for discussion. I found some claims that it does leach bad stuff. I looked at some PEX fittings today (sharkbite made by Reliance) and they have the statement "known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects". What's the truth about this material (PEX) and it's fittings?

I seriously think the eyebrows on my head causes cancer. Sooner or later someone will do a study and we'll all lose our eyebrows because 2 mice out a million that died through the experiment...'showed probability'.

I went on a hunt to find images and somehow it is very difficult to find it. I know the sites to go to and find them, but they aren't revealing on the search engine finds.

Something tells me that $$$$$$$$$$ has a lot to do with that influence.

Hold on, brb. Someone is knocking at my door.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The notice you see on the sharkbite is the CA prop. 65 lead warning on brass., NOT on the PEX/

Jan 2010 the lead in faucet spec goes from down to 0.06 % or thereabouts, which is why PP, Delta, and Moen, as well as Globe Union, are scrambling to put out their "ULTRA LOW LEAD" models. Some of them are on the market now.

LOOPHOLE: The spec is for the average lead content of all water-contact materials. SO, if you have a LONG pull out spout ( non metalliic hose) or a 36" long non removable PVC supply line attached (PP), that keeps your average down!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
TinFoilHatArea.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your tin foil Helmet is inferior to my duct tape masterpiece. :D

Attachments

• luchalibre.jpg
    luchalibre.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 5,051
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks