Plastic Moen shower handle keeps breaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Elderly neighbor called, third time now, the Moen shower knob keeps breaking. Is this by design? What is the fix for this? Do they make a metal handle kit to replace this?

I have the same shower and never had to replace mine. I installed the last 2 for her and did not over tighten the handle. I think the last two replacements were generic. Probably doesn't matter anymore since they are all made in a factory over seas with the so called "free trade" agreements

Attachments

• Moen Handle.jpg
    Moen Handle.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4,249

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Delta has a plastic knob similar, but theirs you can push up/down and turn. The Moen design, you pull it out. If they're trying to push up/down, that may be one reason why it breaks. Also, on many I've noticed, over time, they become quite stiff (maybe the O-rings, or lack of grease, or maybe just a poor design), and can take a lot of force to work.

Is this a tub/shower? IF so, it may be low enough that they use their foot to turn it off when using the tub...that can apply a lot of force. It could just be poor quality of the knockoff.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is a small "washer" that goes on the stem before you install the handle. IF you do not use it, the handle can be forced too far on to the stem and then it splits from the pressure.

moen-crystal-knob.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I put the washer on first too, and then the knob and screw. Not like the picture above. Funny. It's obvious when you have the washer in your hand that it goes on first.

moen-tl473-3.jpg

moen-2600-parts-terrylove-02.jpg

Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
It's a shower knob, turns, not a pull out

So your saying washer on stem, before knob? Thought it was to spread to load of the screw head on the plastic knob, like in the diagram

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a shower knob, turns, not a pull out

So your saying washer on stem, before knob? Thought it was to spread to load of the screw head on the plastic knob, like in the diagram

I always put the washer on first, then the knob and lastly the screw. I tried it one time like their diagram, but that was just weird. Washer on first.

moen-tl473-3.jpg

moen-tl473-6.jpg

moen-tl473-7.jpg

Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
One washer that is oblong fits the stem, the other round washer is for under the screw on the front of the knob, just checked my shower.
thanks for the replies.

What else would cause this plastic handle to keep breaking if not missing washers or over tightening?

It could be easier to turn, maybe replace and re-lube the cartridge?

Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
How to tell what model replacement cartridge? Installed 1999, shower, not a pull out, simply turns

>>>>found it >>>Moen makes two different cartridges for single handle tub and shower valves. The easiest way to identify which cartridge you need is determined by the operation of the handle. If you only rotate your handle to turn on the water then you will need a 1222 Posi Temp cartridge. If your handle pulls out then rotates left or right, you will need a Moen 1225 cartridge.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks