Plastic joint is not sealing pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

John Finc

Reaction score
https://m.imgur.com/a/SWmiG Image gallery( PLEASE TAKE A LOOK FIRST )

I have a vertical pipe that goes from the highest floor and down throughout the building, collecting waste water. Now I'm supposed to connect the waste pipe of my toilet to this vertical pipe. When I insert this plastic joint, it should not leak water that comes from the up floor. Since this pipe has no fillet this is the only way to connect this pipe with a pvc one. My question is: Is it safe to install the plastic joint(the black thing) with some adhesive waterproof silicon? Or could it be that the joint has a manufacturing defect? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
First off that is cast iron not lead.
And that fitting will never work.
I can't tell you how to do this properly as it would take to long for to explain in this forum.

John Finc

Reaction score
First off that is cast iron not lead.
And that fitting will never work.
I can't tell you how to do this properly as it would take to long for to explain in this forum.
Can you explain why it will never work? It is specially made for this application. I'd really like some help if you have the time. Thank you very much.

John Finc

Reaction score
Our fittings are different. I've never seen one with that shape before. What holds the pipe in the fitting?

If by fitting you mean the black rubber thing what I refered to as a joint, it's circle shaped. Now this joint is supposed to be inserted inside the vertical pipe( in the hole that i closed with a towerl ) and then a pipe is inserted which holds the joint in place and makes the connection iron pipe -> PVC pipe. The pvc pipe mentioned is very short and is connected directly to the toilet seat waste hole. Did I make it clear enough? Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

John Finc

Reaction score
Maybe the rubber donut is not thick enough. You should be able to find one that is thicker.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....o-cast-iron-fernco-likely-will-not-fit.59740/

Really thank you for finally giving me the proper term for this item I was really starting to pull my hair off. So you are suggestion I try to find a slightly larger donut? What do you think about the idea of clearing the pipe with and iron brush and dry it carefully and install the donut with adhesive silicon? Thanks a lot!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It needs to be a tight fit, not loose at all. With that said sometimes I use a little silicon caulk to help lube it up , so it slides together a little easier. It has to be a very tight seal or you are going to have problems.

John Finc

Reaction score
It needs to be a tight fit, not loose at all. With that said sometimes I use a little silicon caulk to help lube it up , so it slides together a little easier. It has to be a very tight seal or you are going to have problems.
I cleaned the pipe quite good and found out the pipe had a slight imperfection. The circle tube made out of two half circles ( ) joined together were slightly offset so there was a bump which led to leakage ( according to my observations at least ). I added some silicon to outside of the donut and the pipe and it looked like a tight seal. I'm going to let it dry and test it tomorrow. I'm just concerned about the longevity of the adhesive I applied. What do you think?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Good job of COBBLING things together. That "hub" was NEVER designed for a rubber "sleeve" which is why it was NOT perfectly circular. I would like to see a photo of what the finished job looks like, maybe to put it in my album of "things not to do".

John Finc

Reaction score
Good job of COBBLING things together. That "hub" was NEVER designed for a rubber "sleeve" which is why it was NOT perfectly circular. I would like to see a photo of what the finished job looks like, maybe to put it in my album of "things not to do".

Are you saying that the donut is not right for connecting CI to PVC?

If by hub you mean the blue "pipe" shown in pictures, don't worry, that's just some object I placed inside the rubber sleeve to demonstrate how the pvc pipe will go in, that's not a part of the system. Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

Last edited:

MKS

Reaction score
Terry doesn't recognize the fitting. It appears to be a cast iron tee but not a familiar one.
HJ is saying not in this case.
Maybe add a picture without the rag and tape from the front and from the side as it may help identifying what you have and lead to a proper solution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks