plastic faucet tube

Users who are viewing this thread

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
hi, in actual fact, the father inlaw has the same setup in his house around the corner from me.
guess what, the other day he called me and he had a major flood in his basement, because his hot water tap was leaking , not from the facuet but from the tube that had been worn through where the installer had fastened it down, down in the basement, so it was bypassing the facuet into the tub, and draining into the tube, and draining all over the floor.
The plastic tubing only came into play about 20 years ago. Prior to that time 1/4" copper tubing was used.

This plastic tubing does go brittle over time because of the temperature changes in the water. Sometimes you will have colder water running and sometimes you will have hot, hot water running through it. Eventually the hot water will break down the plastic tubing. I'm old school, so I would never suggest any king of plastic tubing under 1 1/4" in diameter

norm

Reaction score
I have the same configuration in my house and yes I live in Canada but I am still a bit confused.

1. Why is this needed?
2. Why are there 2 floor drains in the basement instead of one?

Thats an older model Emco faucet.

The plastic tubes are called "trap seal primears". They will go into the basement and end up in the floor drains to keep fresh water replenished in the trap. If 2 faucets have the same tubes., I suspect you have 2 floor drains in your basement.

I have a feeling you are in Canada

and BTW, those faucets have a 1/8" female tapping on the bottom of the faucet (A 1/8" removable plug would be there at time of purchase)

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If they are indeed trap primers it is so your p-trap for the floor drain doesn't dry out and let sewer gas permeate the living quarters.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I have the same configuration in my house and yes I live in Canada but I am still a bit confused.

1. Why is this needed?
2. Why are there 2 floor drains in the basement instead of one?

1.As kingsotall explained in his reply

2.One of these poeple, the contractor/builder/homeowner/architect, must have requested 2 floor drains in the basement

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks