Plaster guard must flush with finished wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
Instructions says - Position the plaster ground in the hole so that its printed face is flush with the finished wall

What if plaster guard face is not flushed to finished wall but extending like 1/4" from the finished wall?

what could happen? it will look ugly because escutcheon will not flush with finished wall?

or we have room like 1/4" ?

Also - do we need to install water hammer arrestor - Previously I had IPS pipe plumbing and did not have any problem now changing to pex

Last edited:

Curiousv

Reaction score
Normally I expect that anywhere from the front to the back of the tile guard works. They don't expect impossible perfection.
Wow @Terry - you responded on 4th of July - you love your work don't you? :)
so when I am measuring from the stud to the front edge of guard (without wall) - it shows 9/8" means 1 1/8" - will it work?

Guard front to the back is 3/4" - this is Moen rough+valve

Also forgot to ask - do we need to install water hammer arrestor - Previously I had IPS pipe plumbing and did not have any problem now changing to PEX

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moen shower valves are slow closing, so no need for hammer arrestors.
Which Moen do you have? So far with Moen, the entire depth of the tile guard works for me.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Moen shower valves are slow closing, so no need for hammer arrestors.
Which Moen do you have? So far with Moen, the entire depth of the tile guard works for me.
Ok I have Moen - https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Br...Spot-Resist-Brushed-Nickel-82611SRN/306659560

moen-82611.jpg

82611SRN

And to clarify - when u say entire depth of guard works for me - I guess u mean - even if entire 3/4" depth of guard remains out side of finished wall - it still works correct?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people don't like the look at one end or the other of the allowable range, so you might want to mock it up and install the trim. If it's within the min/max, the only guarantee is that the trim will fit. Too far out, it won't, too far in, the screws and handle won't.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should be fine with the Posi-Temp. It will mean that the handle sticks out a bit further, but that doesn't matter.

handy-parking-01.jpg

Look where my neighbor parked his van. He forgot to set the parking brake. That was yesterday.

handy-parking-02.jpg

Looking at it from the space under the living room. We were watching TV, right above where you're looking at it. We heard a loud crash.

Curiousv

Reaction score
You should be fine with the Posi-Temp. It will mean that the handle sticks out a bit further, but that doesn't matter.

handy-parking-01.jpg

Look where my neighbor parked his van. He forgot to set the parking brake. That was yesterday.

handy-parking-02.jpg

Looking at it from the space under the living room. We were watching TV, right above where you're looking at it. We heard a loud crash.
Ok thanks a lot..
U said u were right above it - so I guess u are lucky that whole thing did not collapse otherwise..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks