Planning a bath remodel .... need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
I'm a DIY'er here looking to remodel my first ever bathroom (a spare one). I've browsed these forums a lot and got some great tips and advice that I'll use. I've gone back and forth on what method to use for waterproofing (topical vs. membrane) and what to use for the shower pan (deck mud vs. pre-formed)

At this time, I am leaning towards the Durock Shower kit (pre-formed pan, curb, membrane and drain). I'm going to remove the current surround shower and start at the studs. Install a cbu (durock, hardibacker, etc) and tape and mud all seams. Then install shower pan and put up the membrane over entire thing. Or should pan be installed first?

So, I question if I can do the membrane correctly to get it bullet proof. Could I use a topical (redgard, hydroban, ardex) over all the seams after the membrane is cured to further ensure it's waterproof?

My other thought was to use a pre-formed pan with membrane and use a topical on the walls. Question on this way is how to do the intersection between wall and pan? I know many don't like to mix methods but I just want to use a method that has the fewest possibilities of mistakes and be completely waterproof.

My shower area is 32"x48" with center drain. Would it be better to use the 32"x60" or 48"x48" pre-formed pans?

Thanks for your time and feedback (even if it's to tell me I'm way over my head on this venture :D )

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks