Plan for 2nd Floor DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'm planning to add a 2nd floor bathroom and I'm wondering if this plan is acceptable for the DWV system. If so, can it be simplified in any way?

Thank you

Attachments

• Plumbing-Plan1.jpg
    Plumbing-Plan1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 807

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's pretty good.
The toilet is the only fixture that doesn't need a trap, it's in the bowl itself. You would just 90 up to a closet flange.

I like that you revented at the lav, into the downstairs vent at 42"
I see a vent for the shower, good, you could also use 1.5" for the shower vent, and keep the 2" for the trap and waste. It is fine if you oversize the vent though too.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
A few more questions...

1) Does it matter if the shower drain enters the main stack above or below the toilet drain?

2) Does the shower vent horizontal run have to be 42" above the floor or just 6" above the trap wier?

3) I'm in Minnesota. Can the horizontal shower vent run on the cold side of an exterior wall. (It's a knee wall). I was planning to attach it to the back of the studs.

Thanks

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
nelsonba said:
.... 1) ... shower drain ...above or below the toilet drain?
doesn't matter.
nelsonba said:
2) Does the shower vent horizontal run have to be 42" above the floor or just 6" above the trap wier? ....
technically, i think it must be 42" (or at least 6" above the sink rim) although it is true that the shower would show a problem first before the vent got used by sink waste water if the last part of their common drain got blocked.

Q3. I don't know.

I like your diagram too, as you managed to say it all in about ten lines and two squiggles. "Anything worth saying can be said in about ten words."

David

Nelsonba

Reaction score
A few more questions…

1) Does the p-trap for the shower need to be accessible? If so, would an access hole to the side of the shower be acceptable or do I need to have an access panel in the ceiling of the room below?

2) I have 2x8 floor joists (full 8 inches). I will need to run the 2" shower drain through a few of them. The first horizontal run starting at the shower drain will be parallel to the joists and the other will be perpendicular. Any issues with this? My understanding is that you can drill holes up to 1/3 the total depth of the joist as long as you stay away from the top and bottom 2 inches of the joist.

3) Will a 2" p-trap fit in a 2x8 joist space?

3) The shower vent will run up through or directly behind the knee wall. Does anyone know if it can be run in the cold space?

4) Same for the drain. Can it run through the joists on the cold side? I'm trying avoid drilling holes through the joists directly under the sole plate of the knee wall so it's easier to get at.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's no requirement to be able to access the trap for maintenance...once it is in, it is usually good until you decide to remodel. Doesn't hurt if is, but is not required.

The vent can run through cold areas...it eventually goes outside. As long as there is slope to it, it should be fine.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Nope

The 3" line will be a new line running down through a closet and connecting to the main stack in the basement. The existing main stack is vented separately.

Can the drain from the shower run through a cold area?

Nelsonba

Reaction score
OK. So I'll run the drain to the knee wall, bring the vent up, and then turn it back towards the warm side before running it to the stack.

Any limitations on turns? Can I do it with 90s, or should I use 45s?

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
nelsonba said:
A few more questions...

2) Does the shower vent horizontal run have to be 42" above the floor or just 6" above the trap wier?

Thanks

Weir of the trap has no bearing on horizontal venting height, only on distance of trap to vent, offsets before vent and tailpiece length. But on to what you meant.

MN Plumbing Code: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/getpub.php?pubtype=RULE_CHAP&year=current&chapter=4715

4715.2540 VENT GRADES AND CONNECTIONS.

Subpart 1. Vent grade. All vent and branch vent pipes
shall be so graded and connected as to drain back to a soil or
waste pipe by gravity.

Subp. 2. Vertical rise. Where vent pipes connect to a
horizontal soil or waste pipe, the vent shall be taken off above
the center line of the pipe. The vent pipe shall rise
vertically, or at an angle not more than 45 degrees from the
vertical, to a point at least six inches above flood-level rim
of the fixture it is venting, before offsetting horizontally
or
before connecting to the branch vent.

Subp. 3. Height above fixtures. A connection between a
vent pipe and a vent stack or stack-vent shall be made at least
six inches above the flood-level rim of the highest fixture
served by the vent
. Horizontal vent pipes forming branch vents,
relief vents, or loop vents shall be at least six inches above
the flood-level rim of the highest fixture served.

STAT AUTH: MS s 326.37 to 326.45
Current as of 07/31/07

While it is legal to run the shower vent horizontally 6" above the spill line of the shower, your connection into the 3" vent stack must accomodate the same requirement of the water closet (as the 3" is it's vent).

Theoretically, it could be piped like this:

attachment.php

But, if one really wanted to be a devil's advocate, it could be argued that if all of the following occurred at once,

1: 3" stack below water closet plugged
2: water closet trapway plugged
3: shower trap plugged

water from the lavatory and toilet could compromise the horizontal potions of the shower vent, bringing with it paper and maybe some floaters (lol) that could stay after the stoppages were taken care of.

Now that is an extreme example that could probably only happen as a result of a fraternity prank, but it is possible. Just think if there was a waterproof partition that extended upwards from the lavatory! :eek:

Thats why we just pipe the stuff at 42", too much thinking otherwise.

Attachments

• dvlsadvocate.JPG
    dvlsadvocate.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 915
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks