Pitless or no Pitless on drilled well circa 1955?

Users who are viewing this thread

MercerRec

Reaction score
I have an appx. 125' deep drilled well with 6" casing. Well was drilled around 1955, age of current non-working pump etc. is unknown, and at some point the home was hooked to city water. I am going to replace the pump.

Here is the question. There does not appear to be a pitless adapter. The 1.25" water line comes up from the well to a T of some kind, with a pipe going horizontally into a pocket cut out of the casing 3' or so below ground. There is a short stub of pipe extending vertically out of the T that I assume is to screw onto to pull the pump though. I apologize for the terrible description, hopefully this pic will help. (note: there is some debris caked into the upward pointing stub).

Does anyone recognize this configuration? I have done a lot of searching for info, and had a seasoned well guy say he had never seen one. P1060295.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh yeah.......

We call them "picture windows" here in Ct. What you need to do is get a loop of good rope or cable around the T and/or the drop pipe and backup to the top of the well and secure both ends off to something substantial. I wouldn't trust just the wire.

Now go into the house and turn the pipe going to the well backwards. This will back that pipe out of the tee so you can pull the pump out. Don't be surprised if you twist off the pipe at the threads.

You may find that the pump is hung on steel pipe, so it could be heavy as hell.

Good luck

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that there is a larger waterproof (which I will call a conduit) pipe going from the basement and attached to the casing with some waterproof method, such as welding. Then the pipe within the conduit carries the water, and also carries the weight of the pipe string on its threads.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be welded on, or some guys used concrete to try and make a seal.

A well seal in a pit was a better way to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks