Pitless o ring replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Adkroot

Reaction score
Could it possibly be as difficult as it seems to find a replacement pitless o ring? My plumbing supplier - a major supply in the nearest city sold me my harvard pitless 14 years ago and has no replacement o rings for it. Their suggestion is to install a whole new pitless! My pitless is too deep to even humorously entertain this. The very few suppliers of pitless o rings I find online also have limited replacement sizes and the shipping cost is a joke that will likely, inevitably be on me. Regular o rings don't do the trick, as I've learned but that hasn't stopped the guys at plumbing supply counters to try to sell them to me.
Am I missing something here?

Reach4

Reaction score
Early while searching I suspececd Harvard pitless adapters came to be Dicken brand. However I am not thinking that now.

http://www.discountplumbingoutlet.com/dickens-jr-s-10-1-pitless-adaptor-952156-lead-free/ has this image:

Untitled__56457.1525786317.png

I think that that site just used the wrong photo.

Regular o rings don't do the trick, as I've learned but that hasn't stopped the guys at plumbing supply counters to try to sell them to me.
Learned how? Does the old o-ring have a round cross section, or is it some other shape?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can get a wide selection of o-ring sizes at any decent home center or auto parts store. Don't overthink it.

Adkroot

Reaction score
I found the size I need at a plumbing supply yesterday. The issue with regular o rings is that the material isn't the same - an o ring for a pitless is a good bit tougher. Regular o rings, as I discovered, have little tolerance for even the slightest of misalignment and if the diameter is even slightly off they'll easily tear. Anyway, I bought a replacement and an extra.

Don H

Reaction score
My well has a Harvard PT800 1" pitiless adapter (from the original receipt). Just like the OP, I went to the plumbing supply house that sold me the adapter 32 years ago and asked for a replacement O-ring. They told me that they no longer carry that brand (thinks they went out of business) and handed me an O-ring from a box labeled 1" Pitless O Rings and said it "should work".

Before I pull the pump up I'd like to be reasonably sure I have the right O-ring. The O-ring is:
Blue in color and rather stiff.
Measures about .20 thick, 1.78 OD, 1.35 ID (as measured with cheap HF calipers).

I figure pick the old one out, make sure the groove is clean, the new one should need to be stretched a little to fit. Use plumber's grease on mating surfaces and the O ring.

Can anyone confirm this is the correct O-ring?
Is there anything else I should know about installing the O ring?

Reach4

Reaction score
Silicone grease instead of plumbers grease?
Yes. Plumber's grease is usually petroleum-based.

https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/ Danco 88693 would be good.
I use Molykote 111 for my o-ring and seal use. A little goes a long way. 5.3 ounces can be a lifetime supply. It has a really long shelf life after opening. Release compound is similar but lower viscosity. A pro might tend toward that. It is faster. I like the slower and higher viscosity, but both ways are good. I wear nitrile gloves to apply. I am not a pro.

Try this search is a search engine:
"Not for use on rubber or synthetic O-rings"

Don H

Reaction score
Is the groove cut in the pump side of a Pitless adapter that accepts the o-ring round or square in cross section?

I understand that some Pitless Adapters many years ago had leather rings to seal between the two haves. This leather ring seal supposedly had a square cross section. I'm assuming those adapters also had a square (cross section) grove cut in it to accept the square leather ring. My Pitless has a square cut groove.

I had my pump serviced one time by the original well driller for a check valve. I'm wondering if they replaced a square (cross section) leather seal with a rubber round (cross section) o ring. This may be the problem with why it's leaking.

The specific adapter in question is the 1" Harvard PT800 which is about 30 years old.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is the groove cut in the pump side of a Pitless adapter that accepts the o-ring round or square in cross section?
Forget about the old "round peg in a square hole" analogies... it does not apply to O-rings. Grooves cut in shafts or in pillow blocks for O-rings are square, not round. The O-ring deforms and seals where it contacts the flat surfaces.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks