Pitless Adapter Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Davlin

Reaction score
I'm replacing the pitless adapter on my well. I was told to tighten the lock nut until the brass part of the adapter inside the casing is flush up against the casing (metal on metal). I've tightened the nut as much as I can and I can't get it to make metal on metal contact. Is it normal to see the inside rubber washer in between instead of seeing the adapter touching the casing?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, you're doing it wrong.

There are two rubber gaskets, one on the inside of the casing, the other on the outside under the ring which is then compressed by the nut.

Why are you replacing a pitless? The only time I've replaced them is if the original was aluminum.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
20170710_155003.jpg
here's a reason craig....about 25 years old.....guess it was a bad casting but I really don't know

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is the new low lead brass. Probably going to start seeing stuff like that more often since regular brass was outlawed. Also was probably on steel casing as it looks like the damage is just where it was close to steel. Electrolysis plus low lead brass equals short life of materials.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe that damage was somebody who had heard that "metal on metal" tale. :confused:

Reach4

Reaction score
Metal on metal is a fact, not a tale.
The story that Ian referred to in the initial post said that he should tighten his pitless so tight that the pitless compressed the gasket inside of the casing such that the metal touched and the gasket was not visible from above. That was what I was referring to.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
That is the new low lead brass. Probably going to start seeing stuff like that more often since regular brass was outlawed. Also was probably on steel casing as it looks like the damage is just where it was close to steel. Electrolysis plus low lead brass equals short life of materials.
Half way right. It was installed on galvanized steel casing, but it was original install on a mid 90's house so it wasn't low lead brass. I have seen a rise in dissimilar metal problems and check valves. Lots of pumps hung on galvanized steel around here (not residential) with brass check valve near pump.....since the low lead change the threads on the steel pipe screwed into the check valve eat right through....seen it happen in less than a year with all new materials in the well. We've switched to ductile iron check valves and now trying to get engineers to switch specs.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If that was old leaded brass, then expect to see the new low lead brass not last that long. Does it help to tape over the brass check valve and up on the pipe a little? We have always done that to keep the pipe threads from melting away where it screws into a brass or SS check.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks