Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
IMG_6447.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jar546,
Tell me why home inspectors do not push for a camera inspection of sewer lines as part of the package for a sale inspection? Too many times I have seen homeowners in a home for only a short while face the expense of a sewer line replacement. IMHO the problems they were having many times should have been disclosed. Is part of that the fact that home inspectors are called in by the real estate agent hence you don't want to get too deep in finding problems? Just the ones that slap you in the face?:confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
inspections

The average inspector wants a lot of easy to find problems so he can fill the sheets but not take too much time doing it. A camera would eat into their profit the same way that taking too much time would.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Jar546,
Tell me why home inspectors do not push for a camera inspection of sewer lines as part of the package for a sale inspection? Too many times I have seen homeowners in a home for only a short while face the expense of a sewer line replacement. IMHO the problems they were having many times should have been disclosed. Is part of that the fact that home inspectors are called in by the real estate agent hence you don't want to get too deep in finding problems? Just the ones that slap you in the face?:confused:

Some areas of the country require them. The clear majority do not. The camera is expensive and to be honest with you no one wants to pay for it.

I have access to a camera through another inspector who uses one for septic inspections to diagnose problems. Most of the septic inspections I do are relatively easy to diagnose but I use him for the harder ones.

When I offered them, very simply put, no one wanted to pay to get the video inspection performed. 50% of the inspections I perform have septic systems with a tank within 15' of the foundation so they are easier to see and not the high risk.

I would love to add them to my list of items offered and did offer them at one time but unfortunately, no one seems to care. I don't know why.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
The average inspector wants a lot of easy to find problems so he can fill the sheets but not take too much time doing it. A camera would eat into their profit the same way that taking too much time would.

Actually, I would not agree with that. Many inspectors have add on services for and additional fee and love the extra profits. You just can't buy a $5,000. camera and not charge for this service. No one seem willing to pay for it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Think that 90 is 1/2 full.

Maybe even 3/4's full! Its definitly backpitched!

Thanks for the reply Jar546! I think the best one ever was the day I was sent to a building a couple of hours before the closing to snake a clogged main to the street. I couldn't get through no way no how! They went to the closing knowing that, and after the sale the new owner had paint marking for CBYD (call before you dig) in front of his new house... Welcome to your new home!

Personally I would have run from that deal!

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
hmm - these inspector threads are starting to border on a stealth form of advertising for someone's inspection service...

I don't think you need an inspector to know that's a problem. I does make a good advertisement for finding a well qualified plumber that understands the codes and mechanics of plumbing, owning a level wouldn't hurt.

MG

Reaction score
Yes - but almost every thread he's started is to point out some inspection problem he's found and to show a picture with his company web address. It's bordering on advertising.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
They are my photos which have been used in trade magazines and websites. I own them, I get credit for them. If someone wants to use them for a training seminar or on his/her website that too is OK since they are marked with my companies website.

After you pay $400 for a 2 day training seminar and see several of your photos on the power point presentation, you will understand.

These posts bring some humor, some controversy, but mostly they provide education through discussion. This is a DIY forum and many of these problems that I post would have been avoided if the installer would have had an opportunity to see these.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I find these photos very entertaining. It is amazing how people would even remotely think an inspector would let these things go. Keep 'em coming. To the nay sayer who thinks these are just an advertising ploy, get real. A service business is hardly going to attract business on an international basis by posting this stuff. It's for fun for crying out loud. I'm know the pros have come across similar "works of art", they just usually don't document them, although some have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks