Piping type for recirc lines

Users who are viewing this thread

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
Do recirc lines require the copper pipes to be thicker? Type M or Type L ?

I was wondering if the constant movement of water would slowly corrode pipe faster.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It will, but mainly because the return circulation pipe is usually smaller so its velocity it higher, unless you install a valve BETWEEN the pump and heater, NOT BEFORE the pump, and close it until you have just enough flow to keep the line warm.

franck

Reaction score
How quickly might one expect errosion to penetrate the wall of copper tubing? In my proposed re-circulating system I'll be using Type L, 3/4" return line in a gravity flow system.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You should be fine with the 3/4" type L.

I was just reading an ASPE article yesterday on recircing systems. The author recommends not going smaller than 3/4" due to velocity and using balancing valves to control the flow as hj suggested.

Curious, on plans I always call for Type L copper for the water lines (when specifying copper anyway), do you typical use Type K?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks