Pipes in floor is OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

NYCremodel

Reaction score
A tenant in my building is proposing a renovation whereby the gas stove is moving to opposite side of the kitchen and essentially swapping places with their dishwasher/sink. Someone on the building board (who is a novice in construction/plumbing) who approves/denies renovation requests has concerns that there might then be pipes in the floor and this could either be against code or increase the difficulty getting to the pipes if there is an issue in the future. Can anyone please speak generically about if this concern has any foundation? To me, pipes under tile floor or pipes behind cabinets or pipes behind tiled/finished wall all create an equal problem if there is a leak..

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are plenty of buildings where pipes are in the floors. Plumbing codes don't prevent that. You will need access to install the pipes, but that is the case with any remodel.
Normally on stacked floors, most of the plumbing is on the vertical, with very little horizontal being done. In single family homes, you see a lot more horizontal plumbing being done, which doesn't make it wrong or right.

NYCremodel

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry. So to clarify one last point... Would it fair to say that pipes in the floor do not inherently create a situation where something is more likely to be a post-renovation issue nor create a situation where a problem with the pipes are more difficult to maintain/fix? i.e. leaks in pipes behind tile wall or behind cabinets creates just as difficult an area to access and maintain in an emergency, as pipes under a tile floor?

(and what I am referring to is the supply/drain from the vertical stacks within that apt to the appliances/fixtures. Not talking about touching the stacks)

Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe the harder thing is isolating where a leak is. Depending on access, it can be nasty behind a wall or under a floor. Properly installed, though, piping should last a very long time.

Highlander

Reaction score
What is the plan for that "in floor" piping?

If the floor is "hollow" (wood frame in a low-rise apt.) you might be able to run pipes in the space - probably will mean access through downstairs neighbor's ceiling and some drywall repairs/paint.

If it's a typical highrise, quite often the floor is poured concrete and there is hardly any space between that slab and the drywall ceiling of the downstairs neighbor if they didn't just skimcoat the slab then popcorn over - might mean creating a box/soffit to cover new piping, and extra care to maintain fire rating between units. That means downstairs unit is losing some space and potentially value. Also don't forget moving the hood fan and boxing in the ductwork for it. Sounds simple until you look at all the details and code involved.

If they don't do it already, the "board" should consider only approving renovations conditional upon permit deliverance and a satisfactory inspection from whatever permit authorities have jurisdiction upon completion (get a lawyer to word it properly).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks