Pipes humming/whining

Users who are viewing this thread

Malibu Jim

Reaction score
We have been in this house since it was built in '71. No problems until it was re-piped 2 yrs ago. Since then, we have a humming or whining every time one of the 3 outsides spigots is used. I thought this was air in the system and would work its way out, but it hasn't. As the water enters the house, there is a T, to allow inside water to pass thru a water softener, whereas outside water is piped directly to the 3 spigots. There is no problem with the inside water, but the outside whines from any spigot, and changes tone when increasing or decreasing the flow. We have no pressure regulator and pressure is aprox 68#.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually the sound is caused by the "back flow preventer" either integral with the valve or fastened to the outlet threads.

arrowhead_breaker2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Malibu Jim

Reaction score
I couldn't find any name on the spigots, but took a photo of them to post, as there is a symbol cast in the spigot body. Saw hj's comment, so went out and removed the "back flow preventers," which were installed on all outside spigots during the repipe. That was it! Noise is gone, thanks a million.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; hj's comment, so went out and removed the "back flow preventers," which were installed on all outside spigots during the repipe.

Someone did NOT install them properly, because if they had you would NOT have been able to "remove them". Just got back from a job where the customer tried to remove his. When he asked me how to do it, I told him you were not supposed to be able to do it, and since the valve is usually worn out by the time the vacuum breaker goes bad, it is just as easy to replace the entire unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks