Pipe type/size to Water Softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
First, Thanks to you guys and an individual on this forum that provided me with a quote and good information. I am placing an order for a Water softener, filter, and UV light.

Currently I have 3/4 copper out of slab to 1” pvc. This goes to pressure tank, then sediment filter, the a 4.5” filter, then back to a 3/4 copper. I am going to add the equipment and move existing filters to the other side of the tank/Hvac closet. This will be about a 15-20 ft run each way. I was thinking about replacing all 1” PVC with 1” pex-A but the more I thought about it the more I am worried about pressure drop in the pipe. 1” PVC is a lot more flow than 1” Pex. Should I stay with PVC or is Pex acceptable? I could try 1-1/4 Pex but I have a manual expansion tool and not sure they sell heads for it...

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Is it PVC or CPVC? PVC is against code for any water supply inside the building. CPVC is fine. PVC is only really a problem for hot water; its fine for cold water but all major plumbing codes disallow it for any water supply within the house (hot or cold). Something you should be aware of...

That being said, pex is easy to work with but you typically want to upsize it one size over copper if replacing copper. So if you have 3/4 copper before and after, I would use at least 1" pex to replace the PVC . I prefer uponor pex-a but 1.25" is more commercial level sizing and you would probably need a specific Milwaukee tool to expand it (I don't think there are manual 1.25" tools). 1" and below you have other options (manual, Dewalt, or Milwaukee). If you have 3/4" copper before and after, then the 1" PVC isn't doing anything special flow wise because there isn't enough length of it to matter. Biggest issues with flow come from too small a pipe over long distances and too many fittings/turns. Reduce fittings/turns (what pex is good at) and keep diameter big (so upsize pex a at least one size over equivalent copper sizing) and you should be fine.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
JooJee: All those devices are usually made for 3/4" fittings, most homes are built with 3/4" pipe. The short distance you maybe dealing with a 1" will not make a big difference over 3/4". If the pex fittings can go from 1" crimp end to a 3/4" thread, it may be easy enough to do, but you may need to use more couplings go from 1" to 3/4" for each device. Just some thought.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect 1 inch pex would be big enough, but 1-1/4 CPVC is another possibility. The biggest I ever did with my manual expansion tool was 3/4, and that was hard enough. I think you are implying that your runs are all indoors.

You want to effectively sanitize your plumbing, including the water heater, after the UV light. You don't want SRB or IRB or other stuff growing after you are bothering to kill off the bugs that come from upstream of the UV. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well and plumbing writeup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks