pipe threading tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
Recently I helped a friend use a Harbor Freight electric pipe threading tool. It was a pretty terrible experience. The tool bound up, the threads were a mess, and frankly I don't think anybody knew what they were doing. But now I'm curious about this type of tool and the process.

The process -- can someone describe the proper way to thread a pipe? Do you advance the tool a little, back off, then advance again? Does this keep the threads clear of shavings? How often are you supposed to add oil? Is there something specific about cutting oil that makes it necessary? Can any oil be used? Is there a technique to getting the thread started?

If I were to buy a pipe threading tool, a manual one, is it foolish to buy one on ****? Or, can this tool be easily refurbished? Can the teeth be replaced or re-ground? Do these teeth hold their edge or does this tool take a lot of maintenance? Other than the condition of the teeth, is there some other aspect of this tool that wears out? Does it go without saying that all pipe threading tools produce a tapered thread? Is there a brand of tool that one would look for? Does it become exponentially more difficult to use this tool when the pipe diameter increases? Does a manual pipe threader pretty much max out at a 2 inch diameter pipe?

Will a set up that works on galvanized also work on black pipe or gas pipes that have special coatings? Do these types of pipe have a slightly different diameter which would mean it would require a specific threader?

Thank you in advance!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When using a hand threader, you do pump the handle a few times and then back it up to break the "chips". You essentially keep a somewhat continuous flow of "thread cutting oil", NOT motor oil, WD-40, etc. If the pipe was cut with a proper cutter, it does NOT have a ridge on the end. Cutting it any other way, can leave a ridge which will interfere with starting the threader until it is filed off. The threading TOOL can be bought anywhere. The threading die heads depend on the quality of the die's material as to how good the threads are and how long they last. Brittle ones can be destroyed after just one or two threads. They CANNOT be sharpened without affecting the quality of the thread produced. Plumber's dies produce tapered threads. Electrician dies produce straight threads, so you do not want to mix the two types. The dies ARE replaceable in a die head, but they have to be installed in a SPECIFIC order. Each of the four slots requires a specific die from the set of four.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes threading a 2" pipe manually would require a lot of effort. Bigger pipes need gorillas!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks