Pipe stub for hand held shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am installing a new hand held shower. It comes with a small flush chrome fitting that takes the place of the shower extension that normally comes out of the wall and attaches to the shower head.

Can you tell me how you get the exact length of the pipe needed to attach the flush mount fitting to the brass fitting in the wall?

Since it can't be seen after it is installed, are there any worries about this connection leaking in the wall?

Thanks!
Ron

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
All of the hand-held showers that I'm aware of screw directly on to the old shower arm. I don't know why you would need or want to replace the shower arm.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Like this one...

Loft_43_8-34.jpg

or, this one...

P8180037.JPG

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Okay, you got me there. I'm not familiar with those fancy models.
But you didn't answer his question. ;)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can't unless you a re initially installing the dropear 90 in the wall The best you can hope for it to get close. If the 90 is far enough back in the wall you can actually use 2 nipples and a coupling. It is more forgiving.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is a specialty tool that can be used to measure the length of the nipple required. It's called a "Tape Measure" Measure from the face of the drop ear ell to the face of the escutcheon and add 1 1/4 "

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Specialty Tool

I believe I have one of those "Specialty Tools".

Would the nipple be made of brass or galvanized? The elbo is brass.

Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Then all it has to do is measure up to the 1/2" lengths of nipples available. use brass.

Snets

Reaction score
Is adding the 1-1/4" standard for all pipe sizes?

So what you are saying is that a seated pipe fitting is accomplished by threading it in 5/8"?

Just trying to get clarificatin so I don't screw it up. Unfortunately the drop-ells that come with these hand showers have no trim piece so they are made to go flush against your tile and sealed at the same point.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be a Kohler...they are particularly fussy about the exact length nipple. A pipe thread needs to be tightened enough to seal well and not come loose. You can sometimes adjust how deep it will go and get tight by the number of wraps of Teflon tape you use. For extra insurance, it won't hurt to use both the tape and pipe dope. It might be worthwhile to get an internal pipe wrench. You can start the nipple on the crome finish piece and then use it as a wrench to tighten everything together.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have one of those and it came in a box that says "wall union".

Since the nipple can't be accessed one would have to tighten both the joints at the same time, by turning the fancy outside elbow (wall union). I have to stick a screwdriver into the outlet to get some torque on it to tighten it.

There is no access to the inside joint, so it's not easy to tell if its weeping or leaking. I like the idea of tape and dope both, just for good measure, on both of the joints.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks