Pipe Reduction At House Entrance

Users who are viewing this thread

TouchOfGrey

Reaction score
Currently I have a 1" meter at 55psi that connects to 1 1/4" pipe running to the house, about a 40 foot run. At the house entrance it reduces back to 1" for 2 feet before going back to 1 1/4" inside the house. The total developed length is then about 150 feet. Looking at the WSFU charts, if I didn't have that small reduction of 1" pipe, I would be able to supply 52 WSFU. However, if the whole thing was 1" pipe I would be able to supply 30 WSFU. So my question is, how much do I lose with that 2 foot section of 1" pipe? Would I still end up closer to 52 WSFU because the friction loss is so small for that length? Or does it create a different limiting factor that pushes me toward 30 WSFU?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interpolation is reasonable here. So for 2' out of 150', you'd lose 1/75 of the benefit of the larger size, i.e. maybe 1 WSFU.

Another way to look at it is that the empirical Hazen Williams equation says the pressure drop is proportional to the pipe diameter to the -4.87 power. So if the actual ID is the nominal diameter (not true, use the actual IDs for the type of pipe you are using to get a better answer), 1 foot of 1" pipe is equivalent to (1.25/1)^4.87 = 3' of 1 1/4".

So with 2' of 1" pipe, and maybe throw in another 2' for the equivalent length of the transition fittings (total guess), that's 12' equivalent of 1-1/4" pipe. I.e. just add 10' to your equivalent lengths to make up for the 2' section of 1" pipe.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wont tell if you dont tell. I think youll be ok you probebly have several feet of 1 inch going to the curb stop as well . In a perfect world tear it out drill bigger hole in foundation or whatever the problem is that someone ran 2 ft of 1 inch .

Reach4

Reaction score
The flow a system can do is not just a function of the smallest piece. The resistance adds like series resistors in electronics.

It is fairly common to use a 5/8 or 3/4 inch water meter, and then continue to the house with larger pipe.

Fitter30

Reaction score

TouchOfGrey

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. You’ve confirmed that I wasn’t missing anything essential. And Jeff, you nailed the exact situation - wrong hole size in the foundation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks