Pipe not fully seated in fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
I'm working on gluing up the drain for the toilet. After I measured everything out and glued it together, I discovered that the length ran about 1/4" longer than measured.
I sent my phone into the pipe to have a look at the inside to see what happened. It looks like the pipe is not fully seated (see pic and video); it's 3" pvc and 1.5" should have gone into the hub of the fitting. I cut all the pipe with my miter saw and knock the sharp edges down on both the inside and outside with a box cutter knife.
This is kind of in an awkward location and I might need a different strategy to find the leverage to push the pipe into the fitting.
At this point, I stopped and wanted to get some opinions before I go any further. Is this going to be a problem? It's not terribly difficult to cut out the 3x2 wye and redo; albeit 1.5" closer to the stack.

PXL_20220110_195016049.jpg

3" drain for the WC with a 2" wet vent from the tub.
Excuse the live-in renovation. Taken from the kitchen with our temporary bath in the background.

PXL_20220110_000724474_exported_26354.jpg

Photo from inside the pipe.

If interested, the video of my phone in the pipe.
The phone is taped to a tape measure and sent down the pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the suspect socketted fitting the wye on the right side of the first photo? Could you cut it out, lose 1.5" of pipe and make the next 1.5" longer?

Likely it wouldn't ever be a problem if you didn't know it was there, but now that you do know and you leave it, that would cause problems.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So is the gap 1/4", and the 3" joint take up is 1-1/4" instead of 1-1/2"? Would that ever really be a problem? I'm having trouble seeing it.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
How does this picture relate to the first picture?

What is part BC? Is that part of part D?

I agree that glued in 1/4 inch short should not cause a problem.

Attachments

• img_2a.jpg
    img_2a.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
The pipe and fitting that is in question is the wye and the pipe to the right of it.
The pipe into the 45 fit perfectly; I had better leverage to push it in.

Would this ever be a problem... either with leaks, or snagging something from the WC, etc? That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around.
I would hate to have this become a problem in the future.

In the picture the pipe is on the bottom (D); the pipe on the far right of the overall pic.
the unintended gap is C,
the fitting stop is B
The fitting is A.

Honestly, if I didn't size the pipe to end perfectly at the fitting under the WC (not in pic), I would never have known but my measurements were off and that caused me to investigate.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So is C only 1/4" wide, out of the 1-1/2" hub depth? If so, I suggest ignoring it.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not being fully socketed that 1/4" is not going to cause a leak or loss of strenght. It likely will fill up with gunk and be a very slight speed bump in the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks