Pipe material choice for underslab drains

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm running some under slab waste pipes to serve fixtures in a basement including washing machine, and half bath. The plan is to use sch 40 no hub cast iron. Would it be worth upgrading to stainless steel? I also speculate whether PVC would work better, but I believe it may not be code compliant in this particular situation, and I wouldn't want to drain a 180 degree water heater into it, which is also a possibility. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: I should add it will be very expensive and difficult to access the pipe after the project is complete, so probably if it fails it will have to be pumped up and rerouted. That's why I'd consider some extra expense for better pipe.
DIY

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what your plans are but if the water is to hot it will deform the PVC and crack the CAST IRON unless you dilute it with cold water. There is a section in your local code the lists what type of pipe you can use for your drainage system.

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Henry. The code allows all kinds of stuff, stainless is allowed, copper, cast iron, several other materials as well. Not PVC in this particular setup. My goal isn't to do the minimum for the code, but to make something that will be durable and last a long time. If there's a question as to whether it's compliant we can run it by the engineer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks