Pipe insulation near boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
I've a 147k btu hot water boiler for hydronic heat system. Most of the domestic hot water pipes and even the heating pipes have rubberized or foam pipe insulation on them... the kind you buy at big box stores manufactured by Everbilt, Armaflex, etc. But it all stops about 4ft from the boiler. Can this be used around the boiler or do I need to use something more flame-retardant? If so, can you make any suggestions? Thanks

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Most of the cheap foamy stuff isn't even rated for typical 180F hot water plumbing, let alone the near-boiler plumbing next to flues, but can usually be used on low-temp hydronic distribution plumbing to radiant floors, low-temp panel radiators, etc.

Check the operating temp specs of any product you use against the system's operating temp.

1" - 2" wall fiberglass commonly used on steam piping works on just about any near-boiler plumbing. Stay away from the crummy 1/2" wall paper-clad good sold at box stores though- 1" would be the minimum thickness to be really useful on near-boiler plumbing that's running in excess of 160F. There are multiple places to get the real stuff online, at prices for 1" fiberglass thickness substantially better than you can get for the crummy half-inch box-store stuff.

382368602_364.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks