PIPE FULL OF SEWAGE

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2" pipe from 3rd floor and the clog is under the slab in the basement. THERE IS NO CLEANOUT! I need to open the sheetrock and install a 2" cleanout tee. Easy to do except the pipe is FULL OF SEWAGE. If I cut the pipe, that sewage is going everywhere. Anybody have any clever tricks that would allow me to drill into the pipe to bleed off the water so I can install this cleanout without making a huge mess

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I assume you've tried snaking from the third floor first to see if you can clear it that way.

You could try drilling a small hole and have buckets ready, and an extra pair of hands to keep dumping them. It still sounds messy though. Removing a cleanout would be messy too though.

Reach4

Reaction score
Snaking from the roof is pretty common too, but I would have a pro do that. There is fall danger, and you would be better off with a bigger snake than the home user should use.

Rethinking, if the problem is actually in the 2 inch pipe, rodding from the roof would probably not get it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 2" pipe might not be horribly gross as it should not have any waste from the toilet (which would have to be at least a 3" pipe). Still could be nasty, but not chunky!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had a customer with some blistering paint down low on the wall of the landing as the stairs did a 90 going upstairs. Went down in the unfinished basement and found that the stub-down vent pipe for the never-installed basement bathroom, was very slowly leaking at the in-the-pipe cap and soaking the adjacent sheetrock from the other side of the wall.
Having done this before I was ready for anything. Customer and his son were standing by with buckets while I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the pipe. It had 20 years to fill up with rainwater, so when I drilled through the 2" pvc ,water sprayed out like a firehose and soaked all three of us down pretty good in about two seconds. So much for being prepared. I always try to impress my customers with my knowledge and expertise.
So, if you're going to drill that pipe, be prepared for anything.

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to drill a hole and see how that goes. I did have the thought to use a service saddle to give me a little more control. Just a thought. I've never tried it before.
upload_2017-12-19_21-42-15.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The saddle valve sounds like a good idea. You could thread in a ball valve or sillcock quickly and after that have a more controlled draining experience.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the "high tech" way of doing it would be to place the saddle on the pipe, install a close nipple and valve, then attach my "hot tap drill"to the open valve, drill the hole, retract the hot tap, close the valve and remove the drill from it. then open the valve to drain the water.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The saddle valve sounds like a good idea. You could thread in a ball valve or sillcock quickly and after that have a more controlled draining experience.
" A more controlled draining experience" Tears are rolling down my face.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks