Pipe for future water main under cement.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by tjbaudio, Sep 11, 2019.

1. tjbaudio

tjbaudio Member

We are having some decorative cement being poured at the front of the house. Currently the water main runs under a different part of the yard and is not leaking. We have slab on grade construction with under slab pipes from the 70's in Las Vegas. If we ever have to do a re-pipe it will be PEX from a different entry point and attic runs.

That new entry point would have the new water main running under our new cement. The cement contractor said he would gladly add a trench for us to drop a pipe for future needs. It's about 30 ft. My question is, what would you want to see in such a case? My thoughts are 2" ABS sewer pipe as a chase-way. 3" drainage pipe is also dirt cheap.

I did some searching and could not find many examples. I'm just thinking $30 worth of insurance vs several thousands worth of decorative cement. I'm not ready to disrupt a working water system at this time.

Thank you.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I like the idea.
    In my neighborhood built in the 70's the black poly pipe is starting to fail. I've already replaced mine.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would consider 2 in. x 10 ft. PVC Schedule 40 Conduit . I expect it to be stronger than foamcore ABS.

5. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

I've done things like this before, for various future purposes, and always used PVC, with no problem.
    Just remember to cap the two ends and to mark the location.

6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

We sleeve almost all of our water services. We use thick black poly pipe usually a couple pipe sizes larger than what we're installing. Its also a good idea to run a blue tracer wire along with that sleeve so your new water service can be located by utilities in the future (may be required) if you're not installing copper/metallic service pipe.

7. tjbaudio

tjbaudio Member

Thank you. I have some other water and electrical runs to make as well. I will just pick up some extra 2" PVC for this.

8. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Some runs want to have a bit of separation for interferance like cable tv and such. Gas wants 14" min separation from electrical.