Pipe Dope On Teflon Tape?

Tape, Dope or both

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

JWT1010

Reaction score
I've worked with stainless steel for years had to use both tape and paste to keep the fitting from seizing. It's a practice I've carried over to all metal and plastic NPT fittings.

The match up on some plastic fitting is so bad that they will bottom out just turning by hand if tape/paste isn't used.

Gas fitters will put tape or paste right to the end of the threads. This shouldn't be done with other system as the excess tape/paste will stuck in pumps and filters. A couple of stings of Teflon tape will ruin a pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Light dope, tape, dope would be my favorite -- not that I have a lot of experience. The initial dope would help get the tape started.

I like higher density PTFE tape, rather than the cheapest tape.

JWT1010

Reaction score
Light dope, tape, dope would be my favorite -- not that I have a lot of experience. The initial dope would help get the tape started.

I like higher density PTFE tape, rather than the cheapest tape.

Makes things really messy putting the paste on first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks