Pipe Diameters and sizes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know of a good place to find the outer and inner diameters of pipe? For example I need to buy some hole saws, but for let's say 2" ABS, what is the outside diameter? As in, what size hole saw would I need? What about for cast iron?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Seach the internet . It is not rocket science, but you need to be aware that you can't just say ' 2" pipe '. There is schedule 40, there is SDR, DWV, ast iron regular and XH. So you will need to have an assortment of bits on hand if you will be working with all these things.

Google is you friend!

Finnegan

Reaction score
The best way to do it is to take a fitting over to the drill bit section and select a bit or in this case a hole saw, that works.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
size

chetwynd said:
Hi, does anyone know of a good place to find the outer and inner diameters of pipe? For example I need to buy some hole saws, but for let's say 2" ABS, what is the outside diameter? As in, what size hole saw would I need? What about for cast iron?

As long as you are concerned about the o.d. of the pipe your task is easier, since that remains somewhat constant, even though the i.d. varies by the class of pipe. You can assume the o.d. to be about 3/8" larger than the pipe size, in most cases, so you would use a hole saw 7/16" to 1/2" larger.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't want it tight for several reasons...it is a bear to insert it, and as it expands and contracts, any tight spots will squeak or creak. It could wear a hole in the pipe as well over time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks