Pipe corrosion on water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Biff215

Reaction score
Hi-

My house and water heater are now about 9 years old. Never had an issue, other than corrosion on the water pipes, particularly on the hot side. I had the builder come out and address it a year or two after buying the house, but it has returned. Am I looking at a repair or a replacement at this point? This is beyond my level of comfortableness, so I will be calling a plumber either way. Just want to be prepared for the next step.

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
You should not worry at this point. Your pictures do not show a bad situation.

When you get a leak in your WH, you will get the WH replaced. The leak probably will be elsewhere than where you photographed.

I am not a plumber.

Biff215

Reaction score
You should not worry at this point. Your pictures do not show a bad situation.

When you get a leak in your WH, you will get the WH replaced. The leak probably will be elsewhere than where you photographed.

I am not a plumber.
Thanks for the reply. No concerns about this pipe eventually bursting? Can this be fixed?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you define it as a problem, it can be fixed by putting in a new water heater. You could probably get the nipple replaced instead.

Many places don't allow the plastic pipe to be that close to the WH. Other places that is fine. I don't know about the NJ rules.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If this WH is working properly,
Replace the rusted nipples.
Replace the plastic pipes up 18"-24" and bond them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks